Question on 1st Gen Shuffle
Sep 18, 2007 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rajan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Just got myself a 1Gen shuffle. I haven't used it but would wish to ask some questions. I have been reading some notes on Sharepod and it would seem to be what I wanted. Is there any other similar program which has the following characteristics:

1. freeware
2. small footprint which resides in the shuffle
3. able to transfer songs to and from any PC
4. does not need/depend on iTunes

Also, I have not read this in the Sharepod documentation, if Sharepod will work without initially and ever using iTunes.

Appreciate your feedback.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 12
frown.gif
I have a bumpy ride, anybody wants to smoothen it out?
etysmile.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 12
give itunes a shot, especially, and i do mean ESPECIALLY with a shuffle, if at all your planing to use it on shuffle.

it has the autofill button, basically it randomly puts songs from your collection, so sometimes you dont even know what your listening to.

anyways, i get a kick out of it, you might not

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 12
I also have a 1G shuffle and love it. The headphone out is great. While I'm not a big fan of iTunes, it works really well with the shuffle.

1. If you manually manage music, you can leave the shuffle showing as a source even when it's not connected. That way, you can drag and drop and delete tunes onto the 'virtual' shuffle at your leisure, then update the shuffle later.

2. Agree with above - autofill is nice. You can choose to autofill from your entire library or a specified playlist (I autofill from songs I've ranked highly on my full-size iPod to a smartplaylist - say 3 stars or more)

3. Also, since the shuffle's memory is limited, in iTunes, there's an option to convert all files to a lower bitrate as it transfers to the shuffle.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 12
This is what I use for my 1st gen shuffle:

http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

It works great, and I love that I do not need to use iTunes. And it works on any computer. (database builder is on the shuffle itself)

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It works great, and I love that I do not need to use iTunes. And it works on any computer. (database builder is on the shuffle itself)

I use this one as well. Just drag and drop files to the shuffle. Double click the database builder and you're good to go.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use this too.... note that you have to have python installed. You could put that on the shuffle and run it from there though so that you wouldn't have to install anything.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for your replies.

I will try the database builder. It seems to have the same small footprint as sharepod. However, it looks more difficult for me (technically challenged) as I don't even know what and how to get python.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use this too.... note that you have to have python installed. You could put that on the shuffle and run it from there though so that you wouldn't have to install anything.

I believe, Itunes can reserve a certain size of the shuffle for data. Do I have to do this in order for sharepod or db builder to reside in the shuffle? I think I don't need to but I just want to be sure.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replies.

I will try the database builder. It seems to have the same small footprint as sharepod. However, it looks more difficult for me (technically challenged) as I don't even know what and how to get python.

I believe, Itunes can reserve a certain size of the shuffle for data. Do I have to do this in order for sharepod or db builder to reside in the shuffle? I think I don't need to but I just want to be sure.

Actually, you want to throw storage to the whole thing using iTunes. Thats where your music will now be stored. Python is also not hard. You just install it and then double click the database builder script after dragging and dropping your music where ever you wish on the shuffle. The script detects the music's location and writes the iTunes database script on the shuffle for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back