Question: Many Volume Settings
Jun 19, 2009 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Happybottle

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, pretty new here so go easy on me!

I've got a question about the many volumes levels on the path my music takes from my computer to my ears.

I'm playing the music from my computer, which connects to my headphone amp, which connects to the headphones; nothing amazing here. My headphone amp has a volume knob, my media player (iTunes) has a volume slider, and my computer (Mac) has a volume setting.

My question is this, does it matter, to the fidelity of the music or the health of any device in the path, which one of these volumes I set to max, low, etc? If I max my amp's and iTunes' volume and control the ultimate volume of my headphones through my computer's volume setting, is that better or worse or the same as maxing out my computer and iTunes' volume and controlling the eventual volume to my headphones through my amp?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 5
^ What he say.
Control the volume at the amplifier, leaving all other volume controls at max (100%)

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 5
Jun 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, pretty new here so go easy on me!

I've got a question about the many volumes levels on the path my music takes from my computer to my ears.

I'm playing the music from my computer, which connects to my headphone amp, which connects to the headphones; nothing amazing here. My headphone amp has a volume knob, my media player (iTunes) has a volume slider, and my computer (Mac) has a volume setting.

My question is this, does it matter, to the fidelity of the music or the health of any device in the path, which one of these volumes I set to max, low, etc? If I max my amp's and iTunes' volume and control the ultimate volume of my headphones through my computer's volume setting, is that better or worse or the same as maxing out my computer and iTunes' volume and controlling the eventual volume to my headphones through my amp?

Thanks in advance!

From what i have heard if u use analog line out, never set the volume of your source to max to avoid sound distortion, ideal level should be aroud 75% and u control the overal volume with your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back