Question from one Stax owner to other Stax owners...
Jan 3, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake
I just wanted to take a timeout to thank you, Czilla, for pushing me over the edge to try the Fusions in my most difficult, hum inducing connection. They worked!! I can't believe it. Thank you very much.

Snake

You are very welcome. I bought the Fusions because the Stax SRM-313 amp is unshielded. I did not hear any hum, but just to make sure I bought the RatShacks.

Jan 3, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by HanssoN
Spritzer, does the SRM 313 drive the Omega IIs well? (I might consider that combo if it does.) Thanks!

Well the SRM-313 isn't a bad amp but it is very outclassed by the Omegas. It is a very enjoyable combo and the amp will drive the phones to insane levels but I can always feel that something isn't quite right. It's nothing I can put my finger on without comparison with other amps and the SRM-313 is the only amp that I have heard the Omegas with. I only bought it as a stepping stone until I finish building my KGSS.

Jan 3, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 36
Better safe than sorry. I always kept a cover over my Omega IIs. The cloth pouch that came with my Zu Mother power cords worked perfectly for this. I also kept a cover over the 717's vents when it's not in use. Volume-wise, I was always between 1 and 1.5.

Apr 9, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake
(mia culpa
tongue.gif
),

I think it is mea culpa right?

Apr 10, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #21 of 36
I use the Omega II's with a 313, and while it sounds decent, I also feel something is missing. I had spent some time with the Omegas and a 007t, but never at the same time as the 313. I too, feel they would benefit from a better amp. Now, which one?
It has been said that the 007t is underpowered for the Omega, and for the same amount of money a KGSS can be had.
Has anyone done A/B comparison with 007t and KGSS and seen sizeable differences?

BTW- I bought the new HPS-1 stand and the dust cover from AudioCubes and feel the cover is uglier than a woman's shower cap, and the stand is ludicrous, because the Omegas and the 303's don't sit with the pads flat on the stand, and fear this will cause the bottom of the pads to dent. Also, the stand forces the headphones to angle upwards, which is a pathway for dust to fall directly onto the grids.

Apr 10, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by immtbiker
BTW- I bought the new HPS-1 stand and the dust cover from AudioCubes and feel the cover is uglier than a woman's shower cap, and the stand is ludicrous, because the Omegas and the 303's don't sit with the pads flat on the stand, and fear this will cause the bottom of the pads to dent. Also, the stand forces the headphones to angle upwards, which is a pathway for dust to fall directly onto the grids.

Carlo had my KGSS along side the 007t a while back. He stated that he would take the KGSS over it. There's a bit of a hump in the midbass according to him, in the 007t that is, that is not present in the KGSS. His write-up over at Positive Feedback talks about this comparison if you're interested. I would also drop him a PM to ask him specifics.

I also bought a Stax stand from EIFL when I ordered my cans, but never use it. I don't like how it presses on the pads and distorts them. Mine also broke the plexiglass part completely off the base, but it sits together and still work. I opted for a $6 grape hanger like many have here and I prefer it. I wish it lifted the cans up just another inch higher, but I'm working on a way to make that happen soon.

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #24 of 36
Just adding a correction.

I believe the 717 has a recessed midbass compared to Doug's zzz-built KGSS. KGSS has a black background, and 717 offers a more speaker-like stage. I easily prefer either amp to AC1's Stax amp (313? I forget.) with Omega II. I have not heard a 007t.

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 36
Sorry Carlo. I got both parts wrong on my statements. I should have left that to you, but I hadn't seen you around for a while, so I spoke up. Hopefully we'll have a SRM-007t at the meet in June to compare with the KGSS and Weebl.

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 36
I've played both my 14S / LP and 14S / 404 combos very loud - for my 14S / 404 combo (the 14S does 400V) I've had it as high as slightly above "6" (yes, that loud) and nothing has happened. I think
tongue.gif

Except quickly setting-in listener fatigue, that is
wink.gif

Not that I listen to that level often - just when I seriously want to rock out. I usually do a 3 or so, right now I am listening right this second at 2.75, my "normal" level. If you listen very loud may I recommend just that the cans be really well broken-in before doing it.

Hey, immtbiker, does this work?
stand.jpg

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #27 of 36
Snake...You bet they work. I have been thinking of cutting wedges and adding them to the HGS-2 stand. It's just that I don't happen to have a Hokkaido wood tree, in my backyard in N.Y.
Those are perfect...what are they?

And...what kind of amp is a 14s (w/400volts output)?

Apr 11, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by immtbiker
Snake...You bet they work. I have been thinking of cutting wedges and adding them to the HGS-2 stand. It's just that I don't happen to have a Hokkaido wood tree, in my backyard in N.Y.
Those are perfect...what are they?

And...what kind of amp is a 14s (w/400volts output)?

The 14S is the SRA-14S Integrated Amplifier, what my system is based on.
14S+LambdaPRO.jpg

SRA-14S Owner's Manual PDF download

As for the first issue, I made them. I can give you very easy to follow directions with almost no tools required to build it (believe it or not, the only major tool I used was an electric drill with 2 bits). If you want to build something like it, it is actually based upon a paper towel holder from Bed, Bath & Beyond. When I saw it my light bulb lit up. The bulb's dimmer went to full bright by a dream - yes, a dream. The answer to the the pads came to me in a dream (I'm dreaming Head-Fi now!! Ugh!!
tongue.gif
) and sure enough, when I tried them out they fit absolutely perfectly, and I used them for molds. What are they?

Electric wall switch plates.

Yep, believe it or not the Lambda series earpads are almost exactly the size and shape of switch plates.

This is a interim step. The real designs I have in my mind for the stands requires a lot more work - welding, anodizing (
wink.gif
) - that I'd have to get people to do. They won't look anything like you see here. So I figured this out in the meanwhile.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 36
Tried my own concoction. I don't have a web page, so I have to link the picture.

BTW- Some LP's or CD's I listen at 3, and some quieter ones, I have to kick it up to 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back