Question for W100 owners..
May 4, 2005 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mega

500+ Head-Fier
I have re-acquired the W100's and i couldn't be any happier. The sound is fantastic..but that isn't the problem.

My W100's have some small nicks on the wooden cups, and i really want to fix this up..im pretty anal about my headphones being in mint condition. Is there anything i can do? Is there a product out there that would fix up some nicks and scratches on the wood? Any advice would be very helpful..I love these headphones for both their sound and looks, so these nicks and scratches have to go!

May 4, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Don't how deep or severe those nicks/scratches are on your W100s but if they are relatively minor you may want to try some quality wax made for wood furniture to buff them out. If the blemishes are indeed deep to a point where you can actually feel it when you run your finger across it, then I'm afraid the only way to remove them is by sanding the wood enclosure with fine sand paper and then restain or revarnish them again.

May 5, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 14
May 5, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 14
I have only recieved the w100's a few weeks ago and I love them to bits. But I was wondering how would I go about getting the finish on the woodcups similar to the w2002's?

May 5, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 14
GoRedWings19,

iirc, the finish on the w2002 is a that of a highly polished special lacquer - you might want to try getting a proper polishing cloth if your w2002s are scratched.

May 5, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
GoRedWings19,

iirc, the finish on the w2002 is a that of a highly polished special lacquer - you might want to try getting a proper polishing cloth if your w2002s are scratced.

I think he wants to get his W100's to have that shiny look like the W2002's.

May 5, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 14
If you want a high gloss finish, you might try sanding them down, and finding a place that re-furbishes piano finishes. Let them do the application of the high gloss lacquer finish. Since they are likely to have the special tools & skills needed to make the job come out right.

- augustwest

May 5, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I think he wants to get his W100's to have that shiny look like the W2002's.

doh! my bad. this is what happens when you attempt to post while in a rush.
tongue.gif

EDIT: did some googling and found out that most wood lacquers are made of... nitrocellulose! for those not in the know - another name for nitrocellulose is guncotton.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I have only recieved the w100's a few weeks ago and I love them to bits. But I was wondering how would I go about getting the finish on the woodcups similar to the w2002's?

Hi Mike,

I had your W100's looking like W2002's but removed the wax before sending them to you in order you got the stock finish..... Just follow these instructions and you'll see your face in the wood when you're finished. Just run your finger over the wax in order that a VERY thin film coats your finger and then massage the wood with your finger.... let the wax dry for 5 minutes and then buff to a mirror finish with a lint free cloth..... repeat this a couple of times and you'll have a very shiny finish indeed.... I can send you a slab of the mansion wax if you can't get hold of it.

Mike.

May 5, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
I have re-acquired the W100's and i couldn't be any happier. The sound is fantastic..but that isn't the problem.

My W100's have some small nicks on the wooden cups, and i really want to fix this up..im pretty anal about my headphones being in mint condition. Is there anything i can do? Is there a product out there that would fix up some nicks and scratches on the wood? Any advice would be very helpful..I love these headphones for both their sound and looks, so these nicks and scratches have to go!

Hey mega,

I know this might be off-topic, but how do the W100 sound compared to the ATH-A900?

-Matt

May 6, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Hey mega,

I know this might be off-topic, but how do the W100 sound compared to the ATH-A900?

-Matt

They both share the same Audio-Technica house sound, but the w100's are superior IMO, even though i love the A900's. The W100's have a much better/fuller midrange, tighter bass, and overall sound alot more balanced and smooth compared to the A900's. The A900's sound a bit thin in comparison.

Pinkie, where would you be able to pick up a can of wax shining for wood for the W100's?

May 6, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 14
actually, when i got the chance to do a comparison with my ms-2s, the w100s sounded like a headphone with a surprising focus. i cant find any other way to explain what i feel about the w100.

to sum up, an excellent phone with a lively top end, a very rich midrange which somehow has that elusive quality i call 'focus' and a low end that was notable for it's apparent lack of major flaws.

May 6, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Mega, congrats on your re-acquisition. The W-100 is a very special headphone.

I would avoid wax and try a high quality wood oil, sparingly. The wood will drink it up, and the scratches will darken and seem to disappear. I love the beautiful natural finish of the W100. This is a personal preference thing, but I thought the W2002 and W1000 looked like cheap plastic trying to look like wood, or poor quality wood with a fancy paint job covering it up.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back