Question for those who have experience with both the E500/SE530 and the Triple-Fi...
Mar 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ILikeMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
My current favorite IEM is my E500 but I'm reading all the the E500/SE530 and Triple-Fi comparisons with interest. I like the warmth of the E500 and particularly the slam they provide to rock music, but they do lack some shimmer/sparkle in the high end and there seems to be universal praise for the Triple-Fi in this regard. Currently I have tamed the E500 with EQ to correct the minor deficiencies (i.e. a slight mid-bass cut to keep the bass out of the midrange and slight extreme high-end boost to add some sparkle) and am very happy with the result... but you know how it goes... it can always be better, right..?
biggrin.gif

My concern with the Triple-Fi is the fact that fit/comfort seems to be criticized almost as often as the sonic qualities are praised and this is a very important factor for me, and I don't want to give up any of the speed and slam of the E500.

So, for those who have owned both I ask.. do you think I should spend the money to give the Triple-Fi a try (given that I am pretty happy with the EQ'ed E500)?

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, for those who have owned both I ask.. do you think I should spend the money to give the Triple-Fi a try (given that I am pretty happy with the EQ'ed E500)?

Definitely.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't tried the SE530. As for the comfort, Shure olives offer a great improvement.
I am listening to Tony Bennett's unplugged as I write this.... the audience's applause sounds sweet... as if i'm sitting there.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I've just gone from the E500's to the triple.fi's yesterday and I mostly listen to rock/metal.

I've listened to the triples today, Metallica, Satriani, Floyd, Korn, Rush etc and I do prefer them, the highs are there and there is no lack of bass in my book, especially since I got the Shure olives on them as well.

Comfort wise, the E500's sit better in the ear, but I think the sound difference is worth the "sticking out" of the triples and it's a decision I'm glad I made.

Have a look at Al4x's comparison thread on the two, a great read and very informative.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the comments. Since all the E500/Triple-Fi reviews are so similar I do believe that their impressions are accurate when listening to a flat output from the source, but has anyone who has used both has both tried the EQ adjustments I mentioned above with the E500? It really changes their character entirely and I'm wondering about a comparison on that basis...

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 9
If I go from my amped ER-4S to the Triple fi's, what am I going to get for that? More musical/fun sound plus more bass but the same level of detail? That's my impression from reading other threads. Is this a no-brainer upgrade? Or hard to say?

Mostly I want to try a different sound with the hope that it's also a better sound and worth $269 from e-cost. Even $269 is a lot of money if the Triple's are not much better than my Ety's.

I'm also not thrilled with the comfort factor on the Triple's. I'm tired of my Ety's. sticking out (can't easily wear a ski hat under my bike helmet) and the Triple's appear to do the same thing. So I was thinking of going to the Shure's for comfort - I love bass - but the Shure's roll off the trebles and I don't want to go there. Ahhh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back