Question for the pro's. Are the new 120HZ LCD TV's worth it?
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone had any experience with the new displays?

It's not my main television, but I do own a LCD TV (Sony 26XBR) which displays color banding and motion blur. I was curious if the new Displays with 120HZ and "Deep Color" have resolved these issues?

I watch a-lot of sports so the motion blur is very annoying.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 7
120hz is to address framerate compatibilities in the best possible manner. Basically, you have a few standard framerates. 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps. In the past, most sets have been 60hz and need to do some complicated measures to get 24fps to display properly on a 60hz screen.

With 120hz, all the standard framerates are divisible. So 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps are all divisible by 120hz, making the complex pulldown techniques unnecessary. (24fps hangs on for 5 refreshes, 30fps hangs on for 4 refreshes, 60fps hangs on for 2 refreshes). 120hz wont fix any ghosting or banding or any other issues, that's something completely different. Though most good LCD's shouldn't have these problems anymore (Sharp, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc)

As for how good the 120hz units are, I really have no clue. But I've been waiting for 120hz LCD's to carry over to the PC.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
120hz wont fix any ghosting or banding or any other issues, that's something completely different.

What about deep color and banding? Are those both unrelated?

You state that 120hz affects pulldown technigue. So what is the advantage in theory?

/Edit: Also are ghosting and motion blur the same thing? I might of meant motion blur. Sorry, I confuse those two terms.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Here is a nice explanation of 3:2 pulldown that is currently used, when TVs are changed to 120Hz the frames in a 24Hz movie are just replicated 5 times instead using 3:2.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a nice explanation of 3:2 pulldown that is currently used, when TVs are changed to 120Hz the frames in a 24Hz movie are just replicated 5 times instead using 3:2.

That's a great explanation, it also goes to show how long overdue 120hz TV's are.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 7
In answer to your original question, I sure hope so. My Sony KDL52-XBR4 will arrive in a couple of weeks!

It should be just in time for me to see those Oklahoma running backs zipping through the Texas secondary with no blur.
icon10.gif

The Sony solution is called Motionflow. They essentially add frames to fill in the gaps. I am sure it is an upscaling technique that results in the same answer as everyone else's solution, but leave it to Sony to differentiate themselves and charge more money for it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Indeed, thanks for the good link devin_mm.

From what I gather, if one is shopping for a LCD this holiday, 120hz is very desirable feature. I'm still curious if anyone has seen the rubber meet the road?

--

So Orcin, I expect an update when that bad boy lands on your doorstep! The new Sony's are sexy looking fritters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back