Question for the Dieticians/Doctors
Apr 26, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
I'm curious if there is any scientific proof that confirms whether or not eating once a day is bad for one's health or not.

Anyone?

It's probably better than eating zero times a day. I'm actually quite confident.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
It's probably better than eating zero times a day. I'm actually quite confident.

Or eating all day....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

P.S. Your body is like a engine it will consume calories dependind of the level of activity. So no breakfast and a big supper is the best way to say «bye bye» to your health. Being no doctor and I didn't saw any episode of General Hospital lately I'm not sure about the one intake strategy...
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Due to the large burst of insulin you get from larger meals the best recommendation is to eat 5-6 much smaller meals throughtout the day. It keeps your blood sugar up and your insulin release down.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Due to the large burst of insulin you get from larger meals the best recommendation is to eat 5-6 much smaller meals throughtout the day. It keeps your blood sugar up and your insulin release down.

Hi ServingingEcuador,

You're obviously not Italian.....

Amicalement

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Or diabetic.......

-Ed

Actually I think it is recommended to eat frequent small meals for diabetics in order to prevent hypoglycemia & lessen sugar level spikes in the system.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
So its a fact that eating a relatively large meal once a day may contribute to developing diabetes later in life?
eek.gif

Nope
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just that once a day eating is not recommended for diabetics.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Couple thoughts...

Eating 2000 calories in one sitting isn't exactly impossible...just eat a 2/3 lb. Thickburger combo at Hardees and chase it with soda or a shake and you'll be there.

But I think the idea is that if your body is bombarded with calories all at one time it's probably more likely that the excess will be converted directly to fat that will be absorbed into the body, only to be digested once again later in the day once the stomach empties. Not to mention what this would do to your blood sugar level, forcing the body to handle so much so quickly. So in my opinion, it's an absolutely stupid idea to eat all in one sitting. Generally the healthiest way to eat is to eat most of your food early in the day, then not eat anything in the evening (ie. at least 4 hours before sleep).

And I'm no dietician...I just pretend to be on message boards.

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 13
I'm an Insulin Dependent Diabetic (Type 1), I eat 3 meals a day and supper, but I can be flexible when I eat, I take Novorapid (Fast Acting, Bolus when I eat, and Insulatard (Slow Acting, Basal at night before bed).

I've ended up in a few serious scrapes by sometimes not being too carefull with what I ate.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 13
You'll often see the metabolism-as-campfire metaphor thrown about. It suggests that your metabolism is a fire and the food is like wood placed in the fire to burn. The idea is that if you throw small logs on the fire all day, you'll keep the fire at kind of a medium blaze pretty consistently and the wood you add will burn up. If you throw a hundred pound solid tree stump on there, it'll smolder all day, the fire will probably die down, and the wood may not all burn up. More or less, that's the potential trouble with only eating one huge meal a day. Many diets recommend eating 5-6 small to medium sized meals throughout the day. It keeps from overloading your system with a ton of food, keeps you from bingeing, and keeps you from going hungry because you eat something every few hours, even if it isn't much. But if one meal works for you and you don't care, go for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back