Question for Sony D-11 owners!
Jan 25, 2005 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
I got my d 11 from ebay today, and noticed the spindle has no ball bearings liike the modern day cd players, but there are holes where the ball bearings should be. Funny thing is that the cd just sits on the top of the spindle and doesnt slide down.

It plays cds fine, the cd just sits there on top of the spindle, there some sort of holder on the iside top of the lid that keeps the cd down., but Im waiting for my amp and interconnect, Im paranoid about dirtying my grado plug in an old pcdp.

heres a pic, thanks!

so are there supposed to be ball bearings there? or is it just manufactured that way?

d11.jpg

btw I read reviews about it being bright and thin, Im using grados and this thing is very warm sounding. from what Ive heard, but that bass boost was on.

The pcdp minus a few stains, (wiped off with alcohol) was in exceptional condition. Line out and head phone out works

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 13
It's supossed to be like that, don't worry. The magnetic clamp on the lid keeps the CD in place while spinning. Most old players you will find have it like that. And yep, it's a bit thiny sounding, but sounds better than most new players. I don't like mine with bass boost and I am using Alessandro's. It sounds better amped.

By the way, I clean mine with baby swipes and then I dry it with a soft cloth. I then use some Armor All on it and it looks really nice. You wouldn't believe it's a 14 year old player.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 13
i listened to it for about 20 seconds, im waiting for my amp and interconnect from shellbrook, from the sound of it, it was far from thin, it was very warm, male vocals on the short session clip I listened to was very full and warm. I didnt think the grados could sound like that hah.

build quality of this cd player is solid, it just looks and feels better then cd players today. except when I hit open.. the lid only pops up half way, and I have to manually open the rest of the way up. Does yours do that? Bah, I cant expect a player over a decade old to be perfect, cost me $16 shipped, build and sound quality far exceeded my expectations.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
build quality of this cd player is solid, it just looks and feels better then cd players today. except when I hit open.. the lid only pops up half way, and I have to manually open the rest of the way up. Does yours do that? Bah, I cant expect a player over a decade old to be perfect, cost me $16 shipped, build and sound quality far exceeded my expectations.

Yes it does. It was supossed to be that way, so you don't open it by accident and let the CD fall to the ground. That's why it also has the lock protecction to keep it closed.

I got mine by 12 bucks. I like the sound of my defunct D-33 better, but it sure sounds more balanced and detailed than my wife's new discman. It lacks a bit of punch for my taste and I actually like the sound of my office PC better than the D-11, but it's still very good, and even my Grado clon, when it worked, made it sound really nice from the line out. And yep, it mates well with Grado's and Alessandro's.

Anyway, I even use it in my car, inside my bag and in a vertical position. It doesn't skip that much, even on bad roads, and sounds really good.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 13
I once had one of these, but also having a D-311 and a D-33 made it redundant, so I sold it. I am sad now that I have no vintage Sony PCDPs.

I'm keeping an eagle eye on eBay for a D-555.
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I once had one of these, but also having a D-311 and a D-33 made it redundant, so I sold it. I am sad now that I have no vintage Sony PCDPs.

I'm keeping an eagle eye on eBay for a D-555.
icon10.gif

Well, they don't sound redundant to me. The D-33 is more bass heavy and has more pressence. Anyway, I love square form factor discmen. The newer ones look too girlish to me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Jan 25, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
glad ya got it, side note
is this guy crazy or is this worth it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...746345226&rd=1

Nope, not at that price. Definitely over priced, I have two D-35 (or D-350 as it's know in Asian and European countries) just like the one pictured in that Ebay auction complete with headphone, remote, vinyl cover case, rechargeable battery and ac adapter which I pick up on Ebay for $45 and $72 respectively.
The D-35/350 isn't rare as it is being claimed by the seller, it may be hard to find but shows up on Ebay often. There have been some D-35/350 on Ebay that were in immaculate, complete with all accessories, and fully functional going for much less than what this seller is asking.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
some pics, they dont make them like they used to

dllcase.jpg

inside.jpg

inside1.jpg

llineout.jpg

its heavy too. This will be my table top portable.

Looks better than mine. I added four plastic feet from Radioshack in order to keep it from sliding on my desk. I would recomend you to do the same, so it stays in place.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I have a sony discman d-11 white colored.

It still works, with a few kind words and a bit of love....

I use it since 26 years, and thats amazing,i think.

now i saw the firsttime, that my D-11 has an other battery-solution thn every D-11, i can find in the web.

Maybe it´s becaus all othe d-11 ican find are black, but my d-11 has a battery-box for 4 mignon, which can be taken out of rthe player from behind.

it´s logical that it has to be put in the same way.

Every other detail because of the colour is identical.

Is my D-11 the Version for the German market, or is this discman no true d-11.

I remember, that it costed about 600 D-Mark ~300€.

Does anybody know the answer?

and is my D-11 rare?
I can´t find a picture of my D-11 in white nowhere.

I will drive to my parents house toda, where its stand to post a photo of it here.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back