Question for Singlepower Owners
Sep 14, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on the brink of deciding that I need to get into the world of tube amps, and after lots of reading, I'm thinking that Singlepower is the place to start.

However, all the reviews/impressions that I read are on upgraded models of their amps. I'm just curious as to how good a Singlepower MPX-3 without any upgrades/mods really is? Does anyone here actually have just a MPX-3 that they bought without extras? How does is sound/compare? Would you guys think a PPX3 with some bells and whistles or a MPX-3 would be a "better" choice?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
I'm on the brink of deciding that I need to get into the world of tube amps, and after lots of reading, I'm thinking that Singlepower is the place to start.

However, all the reviews/impressions that I read are on upgraded models of their amps. I'm just curious as to how good a Singlepower MPX-3 without any upgrades/mods really is? Does anyone here actually have just a MPX-3 that they bought without extras? How does is sound/compare? Would you guys think a PPX3 with some bells and whistles or a MPX-3 would be a "better" choice?

Thanks.

You might ask Voltron. He had a more basic MPX3, then bought my fully upgraded MPX3.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 11
I think that it depends on what headphones you will be using with it. I'm mostly going to use K340s, which are really power hungry. So I ordered up a PPX3 Slam rather than a stock MPX3 because I need to be able to use 5678 driver tubes.

The big advantage of buying an MPX3 is that you can later send it in for upgrades. With a maxed out PPX3, pretty much all you can do is sell it and move up. I'm sure that there are other advantages to the MPX3.
340smile.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 11
I have a SinglePower that is almost a base model. I have the PPX3 SLAM. The only thing that keeps it from being stock, is the input tube was upgraged from a 6cg7 (which is the stock config) to the 6sn7 socket. This was a low cost upgrade which allows me to use a different family of tubes.

I can tell you that my amp, almost stock, is outstanding in every way. Also unlike some tube amps on the market the SP amps have plenty of tube rolling options.

So you should not feel the the "stock versions" are in some way inferior, because they deliver plenty of satisfaction. If that is not enough to satisfy you, however, you can then turn to extra options, or custom build to voice your amp just the way you want it.

- augustwest

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Sleestack sold me that maxxed out MPX3, which was the only reason for parting with the basic model I had and loved at the time.
tongue.gif
The more basic MPX3 had P-to-P wiring, Jensen paper-in-oil caps, and maybe the Solen 1 power supply cap. Those items did not add up to much as far as upgrade costs, iirc. Anyway, I really thought that model was great and love the 6SN7 sound so I can certainly recommend it. The upgradeability is nice too, if you come into more cash or want more of one thing or another.

The sound quality distinctions in my maxxed version are a matter of degree, not a fundamental difference in sound. I won't say it isn't better with the upgrades because I think it is, but I also wouldn't say that these upgrades are necessary to have a very fine tube amplifier. There are also additional functionalities on the maxx like two inputs, the preamp outputs, and the 12V option for running 12V tubes, but those changes should not be factored in, imho.

I personally would not recommend the PPX3 with or without upgrades because I prefer the MPX3 sound signature and sound quality much more. If you can afford the MPX3 in a basic configuration--and you MUST talk to Mikhail to figure it out because he is always willing to help you make the right choices for your needs--then I say go for an MPX3.

YMMV, and this is only IMO, and all the other disclaimers. Good luck and enjoy whichever way you go.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
I think that it depends on what headphones you will be using with it. I'm mostly going to use K340s, which are really power hungry. So I ordered up a PPX3 Slam rather than a stock MPX3 because I need to be able to use 5678 driver tubes.

The big advantage of buying an MPX3 is that you can later send it in for upgrades. With a maxed out PPX3, pretty much all you can do is sell it and move up. I'm sure that there are other advantages to the MPX3.
340smile.gif

As far as I understand it, the MPX3 can always use adapters to run the 5687 tubes, and I intend to find out soon because I now have some of them and want to try it out. My PPX3 comments above did not relate to the SLAM versions, which do sound quite different from the standard PPX3.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
As far as I understand it, the MPX3 can always use adapters to run the 5687 tubes, and I intend to find out soon because I now have some of them and want to try it out. My PPX3 comments above did not relate to the SLAM versions, which do sound quite different from the standard PPX3.

The PPX3 can also use tube adapters. That said, in the case of tubes like the 6BL7GTAs you would need a bigger transformer than the stock PPX3 trnaformer becasue they graw alot more voltage and current compared to the 6sn7s or 6cg7s.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 11
The stock MPX3 is a beautiful sounding amp and does take the adapters. Mikhail is working on another production run of adaptres so there should be some available soon.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 11
The standard MPX3 is a wonderful amp. I would add a pair of adapters and run a 6sn7>5687 tubes and when you feel like a change all three 6sn7s. The standard amps are very good.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 11
That is true. I chose to go with a PPX3 Slam because it:

1. Cheaper than a basic MPX3
2. Has a smaller footprint than an MPX3 and I have a small space.
3. I liked the way my K340s sounded using a PPX3 Slam at least as well as through Mikhail's tricked out MPX3.

Mostly the first two though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Stangs55:

At minimum, I'd recommend hearing the PPX3 SLAM first and then deciding if you need "more" that what it offers. Also, you'll probably want $200-$300 worth of tubes to provide lots of tube rolling fun, so don't forget that expense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back