Question for Singlepower owners
Feb 8, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tbln

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to order a MPX3 Slam and am wondering if the stepped attenuator is a worthwhile upgrade?
Appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experiences with with both the standard volume control and a stepped attenuator.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
I am planning to order a MPX3 Slam and am wondering if the stepped attenuator is a worthwhile upgrade?
Appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experiences with with both the standard volume control and a stepped attenuator.
Thanks in advance.

I have both types in my Singlepowers and here is my opinion ..... if you are ONLY interested in sound quality the stepped is more transparent and refined sounding. The treble in particular is silky smooth yet with improved clarity.

However, if you are very sensitive to having EXACTLY the right volume ..... stick with the regular volume pot. As much as I appreciate the attenuators sonics I personally have to have the volume exactly right or I am uncomfortable.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 23
What type of potentiometer comes standard in the MPX3? and other SP amps? Alps blue velvet?

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
However, if you are very sensitive to having EXACTLY the right volume ..... stick with the regular volume pot. As much as I appreciate the attenuators sonics I personally have to have the volume exactly right or I am uncomfortable.

Yep, nothing like turning up one step and finding it too loud, then go down a step and it's too soft. One potential solution is to get something like 48-steps shalco attenuators. I've been told that they're bit large and expensive, though.

I have 41-steps attenuators on one of my amps and they work well for me (I can't remember who made the attenuators off top of my head).

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
What type of potentiometer comes standard in the MPX3? and other SP amps? Alps blue velvet?

Noble .... not sure which model. The Noble in the new chassis mpx3's has noticeably smoother operation than my old chassis type mpx3's that did use the Alps. The tracking at the low end between 6:00 o'clock and 8:00 o'clock seems superior too.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 23
Salt Peanuts said:
Yep, nothing like turning up one step and finding it too loud, then go down a step and it's too soft. QUOTE]

Spoken like a knowledgeable man who has experienced the downside of using stepped attenuators .... you are so right!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 23
I have had two MPX3s (both new chassis) and the first was the Noble pot and the second has the stepped attenuator (24 steps). I fully agree with SACD Lovers' observations and in fact wish that I had the old pot on the new MPX3. Smooth control over that last nth degree of clarity is a trade-off I am ok with. Still love my max, but that would be one change I would make.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Spoken like a knowledgeable man who has experienced the downside of using stepped attenuators .... you are so right!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep.
biggrin.gif

Wasn't too much of an issue with my Gilmore Reference, which is the one with 41-steps attenuators, but with my KGSS DX, which has 24-steps attenuators, it can be bit tricky with some recordings. Thankfully, using Audiogeek Nitrogen XLR helps a bit in this regards.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 23
sacd lover said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Yep, nothing like turning up one step and finding it too loud, then go down a step and it's too soft. QUOTE]

smily_headphones1.gif

I've had several preamp/ headphone amps w/ stepped attenuators and have always managed just fine.
With some older Phase Linear (Bob Carver) preamps, there was a gain attenuator so that allowed one to change the overall gain structure and get it right one way or the other.
W/ headphones, my PPX3 had a regular pot as does my HR-2 but I have no trouble getting the Stealth at the volume I want (usually too loud!).
I can usually adjust to new volume levels w/in one click in about 15-20 seconds. Just my ears (SHOT!) maybe,
CPW

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 23
cpw said:
Quote:

I've had several preamp/ headphone amps w/ stepped attenuators and have always managed just fine.
With some older Phase Linear (Bob Carver) preamps, there was a gain attenuator so that allowed one to change the overall gain structure and get it right one way or the other.
W/ headphones, my PPX3 had a regular pot as does my HR-2 but I have no trouble getting the Stealth at the volume I want (usually too loud!).
I can usually adjust to new volume levels w/in one click in about 15-20 seconds. Just my ears (SHOT!) maybe,
CPW

Well .... if you can get the volume setting to your satisfaction then I do believe the attenuators are a better choice .... because I find they sound slightly better. The Singlepower attenuators are also very precisely matched between channels .... another advantage to using attenuators.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Well .... if you can get the volume setting to your satisfaction then I do believe the attenuators are a better choice .... because I find they sound slightly better. The Singlepower attenuators are also very precisely matched between channels .... another advantage to using attenuators.
smily_headphones1.gif

perhaps, but not a necessay upgrade. the stock noble pots are more than decent enough.

maybe if the system settings and setups are on Earl's level, then can we hear a difference in sound, if any at all
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
perhaps, but not a necessay upgrade. the stock noble pots are more than decent enough.

maybe if the system settings and setups are on Earl's level, then can we hear a difference in sound, if any at all
wink.gif

The stepped attenuator is not necessary for great sound ..... you are also correct. The stock Singlepower amps sound great in general.

But there is one setup I have tried where the stepped attenuator really makes a difference. When I use three 14n7s in my paper-in-oil coupling cap amp mpx3, listening to something well recorded like Alice In Chains Unplugged, the stepped just blows the soundstage wide open and is this is the closest I have come to feeling like I dont have headphones on.
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 23
Great responses and feedback!
Based on these collective thoughts , I believe that the sonic advantages of the stepped attenuator will not warrant the loss of control over the exact volume I need.
That I get to save some money is also a benefit
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to joining Team Singlepower soon!

Feb 8, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 23
Here's one more comment. I have the stepped on my Supra and I agree with all of the above comments. However, the gain for the output is variable on the DAC1 and so I have lowered the gain using the jumpers and now I get a great range of usability with the stepped and am never in the too soft or too loud predicament. Don't know if this applies to you though, as I don't know what other sources have the option of changing their output level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back