Question for Senn HD555 Owners
Mar 5, 2005 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
For HD555 owners, does your left driver mesh have a "blob" that the right side mesh doesn't have? Is it just related to the one-sided cable which runs out the left driver? See the following pic...
Senn555Blob.jpg

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
hey zuerst how do u like your senns? do u regret buying them? or do u like them?

I just recieved them today so I guess they haven't reach their full potential yet but so far they're OK.

The last two decent full sized heaphone I own was the SR325 and A900 over I think 4 or 5 months ago so I'm just drawing from my faint memories of both. The 555 sounds a bit veiled to me right out of the box. Me having and listening to my ER4P everyday for the past month or so doesn't help the 555's case; the 555 is not as clear and detailed as the ER4, but I can see why people say they have a veiled sound. Hopefully it'll open up with burn in. The top is not as energetic as the SR325 and can be a bit shrill, but keep in mind that the 325's high can be ear piercingly painful at times. The bottom end of the 555 have decent impact but I don't think it has as much impactful as the A900 or the SR325 and I think it lacks a bit of texture that the A900 and SR325 can convey. It is really not a fair comparison though since the A900, SR325, and ER4P all cost more than the Senn.

But again I just got them so just take the above paragraph as a senseless bable at this time.

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Yup, it's related to the cable. Pic below will show you why.

As for the veil, that does get better but is never completely gone. Although you might want to experiment with the headband sizing. I recently (this week) discovered that their position relative to my ears makes a big difference. When I expanded the headband so the drivers are directly over my eardrums that veil faded and the sound in general really came together. It's hard to describe but everything just sounds more integrated.

Burn-in will smooth those shrill highs you mentioned.

2004-09-07%2005%20(Small).jpg

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by akellor
Yup, it's related to the cable. Pic below will show you why.

As for the veil, that does get better but is never completely gone. Although you might want to experiment with the headband sizing. I recently (this week) discovered that their position relative to my ears makes a big difference. When I expanded the headband so the drivers are directly over my eardrums that veil faded and the sound in general really came together. It's hard to describe but everything just sounds more integrated.

Burn-in will smooth those shrill highs you mentioned.

2004-09-07%2005%20(Small).jpg

akellor, did your Cmoy help to remove some of that veil sound too? - or was it all about headband positioning/expansion?

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 14
My HD 595 has a similar "blob" in the same place. I hadn't noticed it before and I don't think mine is as pronounced as yours, although it could just be your photo that makes it stand out like that.

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
akellor, did your Cmoy help to remove some of that veil sound too? - or was it all about headband positioning/expansion?

I'd have to say yes I hear a small improvement with an amp, but I've never critically A/B'd them with & without an amp so it's hard to say. Nothing to write home about IMO, I think the positioning helped me more and they're either burned in now or I've gotten used to their sound.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
My HD 595 has a similar "blob" in the same place. I hadn't noticed it before and I don't think mine is as pronounced as yours, although it could just be your photo that makes it stand out like that.

Yeah the pic made it look a lot more pronounced than it really is in real life. I just always notice the minute and the most irrelevant details on everyting... Good and bad I guess...

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
The 555 sounds a bit veiled to me right out of the box. Me having and listening to my ER4P everyday for the past month or so doesn't help the 555's case; the 555 is not as clear and detailed as the ER4, but I can see why people say they have a veiled sound. Hopefully it'll open up with burn in.

Heh, I have both the 555 and an ER-6, so I can more or less imagine what you have in mind.

In retrospect, my 555's took about two months of regular usage before they really sounded right (mind you, I did not do an extensive, dedicated burn-in). They're a bit veiled after burn-in, though way better than while they were getting there.

I think the bass on the 555's is nice as is, though.

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 14
I( have a slightly smaller bump on mine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back