Question for OS Experts: Windows 2000 or Windows XP?
Aug 24, 2003 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

skagen

Banned
I'm buying a used laptop that I believe comes with Windows XP installed.

My brief impressions with using Windows XP (on a borrowed laptop for 3 weeks) was that it was stable enough but a bit of a pain in the ass eg when you try to update it asks you for the original CD or OS software. I also heard that XP will can lock you out if you change the original configuration of the computer.

I've used Windows 2000 (beta version - got it free from a developer) for a long time and thought it was good, but it did need to be rebooted on occasion.

I've not ever used the regular regular release of Win 2K so I don't know if its much different. But some people claim that XP is simply a consumer version of Win2K (with more restictions built in by Microsoft) and that XP and Win2K are identical in stability.

So my question to those of you with OS experetise is: which OS is better? Is it worth changing the OS back to Windows 2K instead of the XP that's already on the laptop?

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 33
I definetely like XP better, although the Pro version is almost exactly like 2K Pro, but it runs faster, and has nifty features, the Home version (probably what you have) doesn't allow you to log on to NT domains for example, but Pro does, pro is far superior and I feel like an idiot for getting home, UGH!!, XP is better, or I like it better anyway, when I used 2K it didn't perform anything like the other windows versions out, it was far slower (even than NT4), and it did crash a lot, it wasn't on my computer, so I can't say for sure, but from my experience (no pun intended) XP Pro is far superior to 2K Pro in every aspect (and you can use iEEE1394 as a networking interface!!)

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 33
I recently switched from Win @k to XP at work. I would never go back. If all was equal the boot up time savings alone sold me. I have found it more stable as well. I have only had to use the original CD a couple of times for updates. It was no big deal. If you do switch I would recommend a clean install not just an update. Seems with the update any sins of the past are not completely removed. I went the update route and had a few issues so I wiped it clean and started anew. I have not regretted it. I would not go back.

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 33
For home and personal use, go with XP Pro.

If you plan to use it for business and/or plan to use it as part of a network or even as a server, then go with 2000 Pro/Server. Its slightly more stable and comes without all the bells and whistles that XP has.

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 33
A year ago Win2K was still the way to go. But Windows 2000 is nearly 4 years old now and as advanced as it was for its time, Windows XP can utilize more devices, handle more applications, and is at least as fast as Windows 2000. I don't see any reason to run Windows 2000 over Windows XP anymore for desktop and laptop computers.

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 33
I've been using XP home ever since I got my new computer, and it's only crashed twice in the 8 months I've had it, thanks to WarCraft3: The Frozen Throne. Thanks for christening my system, Blizzard!
mad.gif
Overall, I find it to be an excellent OS and a very stable one, too. I can recover from basically any error my system has. I'm a gamer and I frequently have games dying on me and I can always open up the very sophisticated windows task manager (it displayes everything, including processes and CPU and memory usage) and shut it down. You should at least use 512 MB DDR RAM when running XP if you're a gamer (I use PC2100), however, once you've got enough, XP can really take advantage of it. I feel that Win2k is more of a professional OS, although it is indeed a solid one. At any rate, it's better than 98 and MUCH better than ME. My dad's computer used to be the family computer before we got a few more and networked the house and I don't know how I used to stand using ME. The other day, I went on it just for the heck of it, opened AOL (yes, we still have AOhell despite having cable (we use BYOA)) and got 5 blue screens. BTW, I've never gotten a blue screen in XP and wonder if it even exists. Highly reccommended. I have no expirience with Pro.

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
I feel that Win2k is more of a professional OS, although it is indeed a solid one. At any rate, it's better than 98 and MUCH better than ME.

A friend who used to work in Microsoft for several years once told me that within the company, Windows ME is universally regarded as the "mistake".

Food for thought.
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 33
I've moved over to OSX (which I like much better than either), but have had systems with both and for a laptop I would definitely go XP. XP loads a great deal more drivers, etc. on your drive (why it takes up significantly more space), and as such when you're running around plugging in peripherals, the necessary files may already be on the drive. Important if you're not carrying around your OS CD's. XP also added better power management (native speedstep support, better hibernation, etc.), another laptop important issue.

If you have the space (and ram) go XP. 2000 was never really designed for laptops though it's not bad for that use (ran a Vaio 505 with it for awhile).

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 33
I own three laptops, one with 98SE, one with 2K, and one with XP Home. I hated 98 for laptops, loved 2K, and so far love XP. As John said XP does boot-up considerably faster than any other Windows OS, so that is something to consider. So far I have found XP to be extremely stable on my laptop and haven't had any lock-ups that required pulling the battery and power cord. The 2K laptop only did that about 4 times in the last two years I have owned it.

So far, XP is every bit as stable as Win2K, but WAY faster on boot-up. For me, the newer OS is a winner and every computer I buy from now on will have it as the OS.

Aug 24, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
A year ago Win2K was still the way to go.

I would have disagreed. Ever since WinXP came out, I believed it to be far superior to 2000, but it seems to be the fashionable thing for people to diss new MS Operating Systems, but in time it always wins them over. The only thing that held back XP at the time was driver support, but thats never been a problem for me. Windows 2000 was never all that stable for me in comparison, certainly no more stable than NT4 was IMO.

Quote:

But Windows 2000 is nearly 4 years old now and as advanced as it was for its time, Windows XP can utilize more devices, handle more applications, and is at least as fast as Windows 2000. I don't see any reason to run Windows 2000 over Windows XP anymore for desktop and laptop computers.

Now I do agree with that. I for one, arent sorry to see the back of Win2k. Viva la XP!
biggrin.gif
Seriously, XP has been the only Operating System I've used by MS, that hasnt been a total pile of *****.

Aug 25, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 33
IMO windows XP pro, is more or less the same as Windows 2000 with more multimedia features, and more posibilities, for drivers and mutimedia interface, etc....sometimes to get a driver for win2000 is a pain in the neck, I suggest to go for XP pro, you will see the same as in win2000 if you set the classic look and some other features.....

Aug 25, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 33
Here's what I've found so far;

Pros for Win XP vs 2000:
+Better/easier USB support (devices seem to recognize faster and have less problems.)
+Better driver support (I may get argument here but if you're a gamer, going with XP may make more sense)
+Built in networking stuffs (this stuff is sub-par but might be better than nothing if you're a layman)
+XP will probably be supported longer

Pros for 2000 vs XP:
+2000 doesn't require any kind of online registration or Microsoft snooping. Most people know how to get around this in XP but it was simply never an issue in 2000.
+2000 has less oddities. Some folks would call them bugs but Bill says his code doesn't have any major bugs so let's just call them oddities. Most of the little annoyances in 2000 have been worked out over the last four years, XP still has a few.
+Better base configuration. This may not matter to you but I don't personally care for the look and feel of WinXP and for me to like Windows 2000, I actually have to spend a good bit of time messing around in the registry and playing with tools like TweakUI. So why is 2000 better? Less things need fixing than XP. Call me a minimalist but most of these features are bloat for me and neither OS has an expert mode checkbox.

Generally speaking, if you absolutely have to have a Windows box, I'd pick Windows 2000 if it's for productivity and XP if it's for home theater or gaming only use. As for Microsofts other OSs, I'd stack them in a nice neat little stack and set them ablaze.

Aug 25, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 33
since it comes with WXP, stick with it. do a search for 'Windows XP tweaks'. The admin tools -> computer management under WXP is not as robust as under W2K. try to keep your email and internet accounts separate, and never use your "FULL" admin account (control-alt-delete, administrator) for anything other than full admin access. make the internet account as limited as possible.

yeah, I had a full page written out and then "lost" it. ah, WXP/IE6, you did it to me again. IE6 doesn't seem to like 1 day hsitory settings.

Aug 25, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 33
IIRC the computer management in winXP pro is exactly the same as in windows 2000, if there is a difference has to be very subtle IME....
A suggestion, just enable the firewall, and you will be pretty safe, run once in a while the ad-aware, to minimize risks, BTW I use all the time 0 days in the history with no problems to the date, don't know about 1 day setting, but what you want a history for? I have all the pages I want, or freq visit in my favorites....
wink.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back