Question for open-back headphone users
Feb 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my AKGs, I've measured SPL levels and when listening at levels below hear damaging thresholds, I can't hear sound leaking out of the headphones when I hold them a foot away from the side of my head.

You can't hear music playing through headphones a foot away from your head? I have my HD580s sitting about 2 feet in front of me on my desk right now and I'm still tapping my toes to the music. And the output volume is set very low.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 20
my ms-1's leak like crazy...
i was listening to some music in an empty room today and as it filled up i was sure everyone could here it even though the volume was set at a 'relatively' moderate level...
I guess it did not help that I was screaming, "Blood, Sugar Baby!"

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 20
grab a set of ultrasone 780s or if ur a basshead go with the Beyerdynamics DT770

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't hear music playing through headphones a foot away from your head? I have my HD580s sitting about 2 feet in front of me on my desk right now and I'm still tapping my toes to the music. And the output volume is set very low.

I rarely get above 8 or 9 o'clock on a volume knob for the headphones I listed. At that volume, headphones sitting on my desk make no sound. Occasionally I'll hear sound coming out of my Stax SR-5 when the volume is set for dynamic headphones. My amp speaker amp, which I use for headphones at home, produces much more volume out of the speaker jacks than the headphone jack.

Edit. I just put down my QP85 which is much more open that the HD580, and I couldn't hear anything. I at the level I listen, I can usually carry on a conversion with the headphones still on my ears. Out of politeness, I rarely do that, only when someone at work asks a quick question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back