Question for open-back headphone users
Feb 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried to eliminate the sound radiating from the back of their cans?

I am curious what approaches, if any, people have tried because I do not want to bother my colleagues around me while at work.

I was thinking of trying absorber on the back of each earpiece.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wild guess... you're using AKGs?

As long as headphones are of an open design, they're going to have sound leakage, and it will bother others.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 20
They're designed to have an open back. If you try to close them in, the sound will change dramatically.

If you need to prevent leakage, you need closed-back headphones. You can't convert one to the other without major consequences.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 20
I hear all of your points. I was wondering if anyone tried the ugly approach of adhering a strong absorber to the back of their cans.

The headphones I will be using in a day's time will be the Sennheiser 580s.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 20
Thank you for the link. That is one I have not seen. For the added price, I may lean more towards purchasing a pair of Denon D5000s.

I was warned about this hobby when I started. ( : I am getting deeper and deeper.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 20
You really should just get a pair of closed headphones. They re designed not to leak sound, and will be a better option than modding an open can.

Why not the Denon D2000? Its pretty much the same headphone, but without the wood, and different drivers. A lot cheaper as well.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 20
Really? i was under the impression that the D5000 was a large upgrade from the D2000. I have read a ton of wonderful impressions of the D2000.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am curious what approaches, if any, people have tried because I do not want to bother my colleagues around me while at work.

I was thinking of trying absorber on the back of each earpiece.

Try this at home
biggrin.gif
Put your hands against the back of the cans and you'll notice a great difference
eek.gif
Of course your hand is not a good absorber, but it still is one.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 20
You know, I don't really understand why everyone is always going on about the "sound leakage" from their headphones bothering people. In my experience, with my HD555's, there has generally been less leakage than I've heard coming out of people's stock iBuds. Also in my experience, my roommate has been fine sleeping through my listening even while I pulled an all nighter.

Cheers.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I don't really understand why everyone is always going on about the "sound leakage" from their headphones bothering people.

It's not that I'm going on about this, it's that the people around me (=my wife and others) go on about it. I have the same headphones as the OP, and listen at very moderate volumes in the den when working late at night, yet she still always seems to come at some point and close the bedroom door because she can hear the sound leaking from my headphones. Your roommate is obviously not sensitive to this in your case, but that doesn't discount the fact that sound leakage from headphones bothers other people.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 20
sounds like the OP needs an r10.
tongue.gif

just kidding, having a nice closed back and opened back phone in your collection may be something to think about, or the r10 solution. That is a pretty decent closed back option too

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 20
Haha, are the R10s you are referring to made by Sony? Those sound like they would be nice! : Þ

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 20
I listen to very open headphones, AKGs and MB Quart QP85. On my AKGs, I've measured SPL levels and when listening at levels below hear damaging thresholds, I can't hear sound leaking out of the headphones when I hold them a foot away from the side of my head. I've done this with the K400, K401, K500, K501, K601, HD580, QP85, KSC75, DT880, and the PX100. I seriously doubt that you are listening at safe levels if someone more than a few feet away can here the music. Or else the other person has especially acute hearing. My wife is hard of hearing, so she can barely hear the music with the headphones on, but my hearing is fine.

I usually have more of a problem with outside noise leaking in. Like if my wife is trying to watch a YouTube video and has the volume so loud that I can hear it 3 rooms away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back