question for Jmeirdos on Dolby Headphone
Jun 12, 2003 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
If you had a choice of using the HD600s or the wireless stock headphones. Which one would be your first pick to use with SE-DIR1000C. Which one sounds closer to your home theater? You did say the wireless have more separation.

I think I might buy the X-box version for stronger bass response.

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by sfxjames
If you had a choice of using the HD600s or the wireless stock headphones. Which one would be your first pick to use with SE-DIR1000C. Which one sounds closer to your home theater? You did say the wireless have more separation.

I think I might buy the X-box version for stronger bass response.

Hi James...if you are going to plug the Senns into the jack on the Pioneer unit, forget it...I say use the supplied wireless headphones instead. The Senns really need an amp between the Pioneer and the phones to sound good and even loud enough.

The Sony CD3Ks on the other hand are a dream plugged directly into the Pioneer's headphone jack and I prefer them over the supplied wireless ones. Huge soundstage and great directional cues.

John

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 28
Which system would be better for movies, the SE-DIR1000C or SE-XB1?

PS: The expert who designed the pioneers was right. He told me the wireless ones sound closer to his home theater system.

Jun 13, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

PS: The expert who designed the pioneers was right. He told me the wireless ones sound closer to his home theater system.

Hi James-
Having only tried the DIR1000, I cannot compare it to the XBox version. I think Spad bought that model, so perhaps he will chime in.

My only real problem with the Pioneer's supplied metal headphones is that due to how the headband is attached to the cups...I get an annoying metallic "pinging" sound if I move my head quickly. I believe Gergor has also experienced the same with his. I don't know if the SE-XB1's exhibit this flaw.

The sound is just fine...not audiophile music listening quality, but very lush, full & believable for films.

John

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

AFAIK, they perform identically for movies. The SE-BX1 has some added stuff for use with an XBox, which I still haven't gotten around to testing. If you have or plan to get an XBox, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, I'd go with the 1000C and save a few bucks.

I really can't comment on the wireless 'phones. Like John, I use CD3Ks with it and couldn't be more pleased.

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 28
thanks guys. Thank you JMeirdos for your added wisdom and spad also for your response. Jmeirdos that was a very good review, you did in the past.

If DH does not sound like anyone's home theater system their system is set-up wrong. This dolby were talking about not VSS, IVA, DSS, PSS, PBS, NBDS lol

Dolby has compared DH to a full fledge system. They can't screw up.

I'm going to read your review again.

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 28
Medeiros, JMedeiros................ the other way sounds just too painful....

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 28
sfxjames...where are you located? If you live in the NYC area, you are welcome to come over for a test drive demo and see how you like the Pioneer unit.

John

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 28
I live in WA but that's okay. I just needed to know which one to buy. I've heard DH on a quality headphone jack of one of those DVD portables those babies are not built cheap. DH2 with pearl harbor sounded incredible. Unlike the IVA processing with same movie. How big is your TV?

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

I live in WA but that's okay. I just needed to know which one to buy. I've heard DH on a quality headphone jack of one of those DVD portables those babies are not built cheap. DH2 with pearl harbor sounded incredible. Unlike the IVA processing with same movie. How big is your TV?

I have one of the first generation Sony Wegas 36". But the processing even works for me watching movies on my laptop with a 12" screen.

BTW....I watched "Tears of the Sun" last night at about 10pm..so I did not want to bother my neighbors in the adjoining apartments with my 5.1 surround speaker system and thumping subwoofer. It was great to be able to plunk on my Pioneers and crank up the sound till midnight. I has able to hear the film in glorious 5.1 ...crisp dialog, all the explosions...bass booms and beautiful film score...all with the privacy of my headphones. And I even used the supplied wireless cans.

John

Jun 15, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 28
The stock wireless cans aren't that bad. The Sony ones, AWEEEEEFULLLLLLLL. But the Hearo 777 Quadra are great, and the AW791 weren't bad either. Wireless headphone still can do a pretty good job. The Quadra seem to work better when used with a much bigger screen. It's just the heighth effect that's slightly missing. I am unable to have a set-up in my room due to room acoustical considerations. I just want to be able to see my movie in surround sound, with out all the bother really. I have a JVC 32" TV that has the "traditional" overscan. It shows all the picture off a widescreen image while other TV's seem to be more zoomed in but shave the edges off the same picture. They call it the theatrical movie perspective, but it all it does is shave off the side images so you don't get the widescreen picture.

I sit about 7-8 feet from is that okay. Will DH sound okay for that distance away from the screen. Or DH sounds good no matter how far you are from the screen?

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
BTW....I watched "Tears of the Sun" last night at about 10pm..so I did not want to bother my neighbors in the adjoining apartments with my 5.1 surround speaker system and thumping subwoofer. It was great to be able to plunk on my Pioneers and crank up the sound till midnight. I has able to hear the film in glorious 5.1 ...crisp dialog, all the explosions...bass booms and beautiful film score...all with the privacy of my headphones. And I even used the supplied wireless cans.

That's weird, John. I watched the same DVD last night using the Pioneer, but with the 3Ks. Great soundtrack!

Regarding TVs, I just ordered a DLP (digital light processor) set yesterday. It's supposed to arrive in three weeks and I can't wait!

Jun 16, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad

Regarding TVs, I just ordered a DLP (digital light processor) set yesterday. It's supposed to arrive in three weeks and I can't wait!

<Drool....Froth.....>

I saw DLP for the first time a couple weeks ago at the AMC on Times Square. X-2. The picture was jaw-dropping. I have never seen such a well projected image in any movie theater...ever. I think the future is big for digital projection.

PS...the reason I used the Pioneer cans is because I need a good headphone extension...the Sony cord is about a foot too short. I never should have sold that Big Red...

John

Jun 16, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

I sit about 7-8 feet from is that okay. Will DH sound okay for that distance away from the screen. Or DH sounds good no matter how far you are from the screen?

Thats exactly how far away I sit too. The effect should be just as convincing at various distances. Especially with the 3 "room size" settings.

John

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
<Drool....Froth.....>

I saw DLP for the first time a couple weeks ago at the AMC on Times Square. X-2. The picture was jaw-dropping. I have never seen such a well projected image in any movie theater...ever. I think the future is big for digital projection.

I agree. The technology is really amazing. It offers plasma PQ with none of the downside. I'd bet that in three to five years, DLP RPs will rival conventional HD CRT based sets in price. They're already cheaper than plasma--at least in the larger sizes.

Regarding the Pioneer, do you find yourself using it even when you don't have to? I sure do. I just seem to hear more than I do over my normal HT setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back