Question for JH16 IEM owners?
May 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zdkaiser

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about seriously opening my wallet. Teetering on the edge.

I am looking for some insight from current JH16 owners, as to the specific sound signature of these IEMs. Mostly, I am wondering about the JH16's treble output and how it compares to headphones I have owned in the past, which include:

AKG K702s
Shure SE530s
Sennheiser HD650
Grado SR225i
Beyer DT770 Pro 80

The AKGs and Grados I thought were a bit too bright for my tastes. The Shures too treble light, and the Senns mellow and neutral. I like them.

I am looking for high end sparkle, but without the sharp/piercing aspect that some headphones provide. Nothing overdone like the AKGs. Sort of like a HD650/AKG hybrid/middle ground as far as treble amount and treble extension go.

Thanks for the help. I don't have much experience with IEMs to have a IEM vs IEM comparison. That might of been more suitable/useful.

And, I should mention, I am looking at top-tier custom IEMs, so that when I do upgrade, I only have to do it once, and not "wonder" what could have been. So, if you all have any other suggestions, I am listening. I am considering JH16, Westone ES5, and UM Merlin, and maybe an UE model. Although UE ears seems a bit more pricey than the rest for what you are getting. Maybe it is just me.

May 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, I've heard the AKG K702's (own them) and the Shure SCL4, which has a very similar sound signature to the SE530. I think the JH16's treble is at the perfect spot--not too harsh/bright nor soft and uninvolving. They have a very good shimmer with a realistic dissipation, which is pretty hard to pull off without a roll-off, but the JH16 does not have a roll-off on the high end.

I think for what you described, the AKG K702 would fall in a 10/10 in treble brightness/shimmer, and the Shure SCL4 would fall around a 5/10. In that case, the JH16 would fit right around 8.5-9.0 in terms of treble. The treble does not attack you in every song, it is presented as it was recorded. So if there is a lot of high frequencies in a particular song, the JH16 will handle it right without making it sound artificial/enhanced, as the AKG K702 sometimes does. The treble definitely does not stick out as the first thing in a song, that's for sure. It sounds pretty neutral with a "powerful" sound which comes from the bass drivers. It is not a bassy sound, but sounds very "big" and "powerful" as Jerry Harvey put it.

Hope that helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back