Question for Fiio M3 and X1 owners
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

phillipwareham

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a Fiio M3 and felt like it sounded slightly worse than the headphone jack on my Xiaomi 5 phone. Am I crazy, or are phones catching up to the point now where this is realistic? I'm returning the M3 and can't decide if I should buy an X1 instead, or just keep using my phone.

Background info: I previously had a Xiaomi 2 which had terrible sound and bought a Fiio X1 which sounded amazing by comparison. The X1 got stolen a while ago and I've been using the Xiaomi 5 more recently. The test today was done with cheap earbuds because my JVC S500 are getting a new jack put on them.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Does the N3 sound worse than you remember the X1 to be?
Because I have the M3 and it sounds almost exactly like my 7th Gen iPod - i.e. really very good! (Despite the audiophile snobbery about iPods :wink:
I'd be surprised if your phone sounded better, but maybe the sound signature is just more to your liking? I've got a similar android phone, not the Xiaomi though, and I much prefer the M3.
Better try to get a listen to the new X1 first, lots of complaints about the hardware, although the sound is good.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Does the N3 sound worse than you remember the X1 to be?
Because I have the M3 and it sounds almost exactly like my 7th Gen iPod - i.e. really very good! (Despite the audiophile snobbery about iPods
wink.gif

I'd be surprised if your phone sounded better, but maybe the sound signature is just more to your liking? I've got a similar android phone, not the Xiaomi though, and I much prefer the M3.
Better try to get a listen to the new X1 first, lots of complaints about the hardware, although the sound is good.

The M3 does sound worse than I remember the X1 being, but the cheap xiaomi earbuds were at least part of the issue. I mostly used that with the JVC S500 or a pair of quality earbuds. It's confusing why the M3 sounded worse, but I can certainly believe the earbuds were not good enough to showcase its sound.

With my JVC headphones getting repaired I bought Xiaomi piston 3s at the same time as the M3, but they were delayed, so I had to make my keep/return decision based on weak evidence. Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back