Question For European/Canadian Shoppers
Nov 25, 2007 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Puppysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Do internet retailers like NewEgg, ClubIT, ZipZoomFly, etc. ship to Canada and Europe?

If not how do you take advantage of the cheap prices electronic/computer stuff is sold in the USA?

Looks to me that the UK is paying the same in pounds as we are in dollars for the same item i.e. it is twice as expensive in the UK as it is here in the USA.

Is there a shipping service that can relay your purchase or is one needed.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, which is a shame. One place I like that does ship to Canada is bhphotovideo.com. They have a decent selection of electronics as well as cameras of course, and they do offer to ship via the US postal service.

The thing you have to watch for is to not have things shipped by UPS. A lot of places will ship to Canada, but only use UPS, which in the end won't save you money because UPS assesses enormous fees for getting the box into the country -- sometimes ten times as much as if the package had been shipped via the US postal service, on top of what you paid UPS to actually ship the item. This site is an invaluable resource for comparing total shipping costs via various services: TheFinalCost.com
I don't know anything about the UK though, but I would still be suspicious of UPS. If they're screwing Canadians this badly, I'd imagine they do the same to Brits.

BTW, if you're into speaker building, Madisound is very good at international shipping and they're also good about warning you about UPS' hidden costs and steering you towards one of the more reasonable alternatives. Parts Express is also good.

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Seems to me there is an opportunity for a business of a middleman shipper who receives your order in the USA and ships it to Canada by USPS Priority Mail International.

The cost to ship anything to Canada from the USA using a prepaid Priority Mail International shipping box is $23 not including insurance and duty (is there duty?).

One box is 11" X 8.5" X 5.5" and the other is 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8". The $23 rate is good for any weight up to 20lbs as long as it fits into the box.

Certainly cannot ship speakers, however amps, headphones, motherboards, CPU's, etc. will fit.

Isn't there a business that will trans-ship for a fee?

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Such services certainly exist, but the ones I've found tend to be targeted towards people who very frequently need a lot of packages shipped to them, and the extra setup and monthly charges really ruin the deal if you're just buying a few items.

I'd point you to them, but I'm afraid I can't remember a single one. Sorry.

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, those services always seem like such a pain to setup, and their own terms are vague on how quick they are to ship to you, heard, as Trippertiger said, to sending a bunch of stuff at once. Well, when I order something, I only want to wait for the amount of time it takes to get to me, and not a month or so more. Plus customs here would be killer since the cost of shipping is included in it.

So, we just keep giving our businesses to those places who answered yes to the question Eddie Izzard put best:

"Do you know there's other countries?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back