Question for Ety ER-4 owners
Jan 4, 2006 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate a little advice from long-term users:

1.) Regarding the foamies, how do you know when they need to be replaced?

2.) Again with foamies, do you roll them real tight prior to sticking in ear, or is it a more gentle role (after a week, mine seem to be losing their ability to spring back)

3.) Again with foamies, I assume that you put the shiny side toward the inside of your ear?

Thanks in advance for your input, Kent

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore

2.) Again with foamies, do you roll them real tight prior to sticking in ear, or is it a more gentle role (after a week, mine seem to be losing their ability to spring back)

3.) Again with foamies, I assume that you put the shiny side toward the inside of your ear?

Thanks in advance for your input, Kent

1. When dirty or look like sh** or dont spring back very good.
2. Um I really dont know, i use tri-flanges.
3. Yes

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 12
1. When they look dirty and loose their spring - takes 2-3 weeks for me to go through a set - they are a consumable.

2. I tend to roll them tight and then hold them in place while the foam expands to get the best seal. I also find that the end "wears" more - refer to question 1.

3. Yes.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 12
when they look dirty and don't spring back

I do a hard roll for easier insersion

yes

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

When they look dirty/loose their ability to spring back

Quote:

Gentle roll is enough. This depends on size of ear canal.

Quote:

Yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmoses
I also find that the end "wears" more

Same here. The end tends to look a little mangled after a couple of weeks.

Personally, I use tri-flanges because I find them more comfortable.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 12
1) When I can't rely on them to give a perfect seal. If I don't get a perfect seal within a few seconds they get binned regardless of appearance.
2) Gentle but persuasive (I use the large foamies)
3) Yes

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 12
I use the black Ety foamies on my ER-4P/S, and they usually last very long. If they are a tight fit, which mine are, then the longer they will keep their spring. Roll them however you are comfortable, it is pretty universal, how we all roll them between our fingers. The shiny side goes in first, as it is the smoother side, in case of rubbing against anything.
etysmile.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't wash mine as they don't seem to last long enough to get really grubby - that is about 20 days @ 2x2hrs commute per day.
(Note - standard foamies last me maybe 5 days @ 2x2hrs commute ...I may have wide-bore ear canals
biggrin.gif
)
Also I get 6 months of the above with the triflanges with an irregular soap and water wash.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 12
i don't use the foamies that often, but when i do i wash them by putting them in a cup full of water and boiling them in the microwave with just a little bit of liquid dish soap. i find that it cleans them and helps restore the ability to spring back.

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't have the shiny side towards my ear lol

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I don't have the shiny side towards my ear lol

Bass response is much better if the shiny side is pointing IN.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back