Question for E-MU 1212M owners...
Dec 26, 2005 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

teknophyl

Head-Fier
Hi all, my Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard has started giving me some problems where using the keyboard will produce clipping/buzzing sounds every once in a while when music or other sound is playing. This is especially serious when playing games since this buzzing effect sometimes causes my computer to reboot. I've already tried different keyboard drivers and getting rid of old registry files, all to no avail...and Terratec has stopped producing new drivers for the EWX as well, so I decided to update my soundcard. But first I have a few questions about the 1212M.
1. Can the digital optical input be routed straight to the digital optical output along with the sound coming from the computer? With my current card, I like to play Gran Turismo while listening to the songs on my computer so I connect the PS2's optical out to the soundcard's optical in and then plug the soundcard's optical out to my external DAC, to my amp, etc. and this works just fine. Can I do this with the 1212M?
2. Is the "daughter" card needed for the main PCI card to work? I don't need any analog outputs that the daughter card has, just the optical in's and out's on the main card.
3. I use a Bel Canto DAC1 that does 24/96kHz but I understand that the soundcard outputs 24/192kHz. I don't think this should cause problems but I thought I'd ask anyway if it would...so would it?
Thanks so much for your help.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by teknophyl
Hi all, my Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard has started giving me some problems where using the keyboard will produce clipping/buzzing sounds every once in a while when music or other sound is playing. This is especially serious when playing games since this buzzing effect sometimes causes my computer to reboot. I've already tried different keyboard drivers and getting rid of old registry files, all to no avail...and Terratec has stopped producing new drivers for the EWX as well, so I decided to update my soundcard. But first I have a few questions about the 1212M.
1. Can the digital optical input be routed straight to the digital optical output along with the sound coming from the computer? With my current card, I like to play Gran Turismo while listening to the songs on my computer so I connect the PS2's optical out to the soundcard's optical in and then plug the soundcard's optical out to my external DAC, to my amp, etc. and this works just fine. Can I do this with the 1212M?
2. Is the "daughter" card needed for the main PCI card to work? I don't need any analog outputs that the daughter card has, just the optical in's and out's on the main card.
3. I use a Bel Canto DAC1 that does 24/96kHz but I understand that the soundcard outputs 24/192kHz. I don't think this should cause problems but I thought I'd ask anyway if it would...so would it?
Thanks so much for your help.

1) YES
smily_headphones1.gif

2) NO
smily_headphones1.gif

3) You can have the soundcard put out whatever bit/sample you want, so that doesn't really matter too much

FYI you can do what you are describing just as well with the much cheaper 0404.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
1) YES
smily_headphones1.gif

2) NO
smily_headphones1.gif

3) You can have the soundcard put out whatever bit/sample you want, so that doesn't really matter too much

FYI you can do what you are describing just as well with the much cheaper 0404.

only disadvantage in this cirumstance is if he in the future may need more optical in/outs. with the 1212 he could upgrade to the dock and have those.

but more than likely the 0404 is a better solution
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back