Question for Don Wilson and Ety users...
Sep 28, 2001 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased some new foamies (foam tips) for my ER4S headphones. The new ones are shorter than the original units. Was there a reason for the change? I am finding the short tips less comfortable than the long ones, and they don't seal quite as reliably (probably user specific). Is it still possible to get the long foamies, because I think that we need another option to argue about
wink.gif

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 8
I got my ER-4P's about a month ago and the foamies did seem shorter than what the pictures show. Mine have the clear plastic tube extending 2-3mm from one end, I usually put that end towards the earpeices or cut it off altogether (changes the sound slightly since the earpeices can be inserted deeper). It seems to me to be a slight manufacturing inconsistancy, some of mine have more clear tubing extending out but all the foams seem to be roughly the same amount, just mounted slightly compressed. I'd prefer it if the foam extended the whole length of the tubing as well, and I think it'd be better if it went slightly past (more foam= more isolation probably and more foam against your ear for more support of the earpeice). I've managed to get used to the rubbers though, but I keep a spare of foams for when I can't get the fit right.

Sep 28, 2001 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 8
New foamies have a 1.06 cm center tube and roughly .9cm of foam (have you ever tried measuring foam with a set of calipers?).

Old foamies (circa 1998, I think) 1.23 cm tube with an equal length of foam.

Are the custom molded plugs quicker to put in? I find myself doing this operation too frequently lately.

Sep 29, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Here are my quick measurements with a caliper...

First sample, which looked like it had the least amount of foam, has tube length of 11mm, foam is 7mm long
Second sample, which looked like it had the most foam, has same tube length but foam is 10mm long
Shortest tube length I found (before cutting obviously) is a bit under 11mm, about 10.7mm.

Sep 29, 2001 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Greg,

I have no idea how easy the custom molds are to put in. My assumption is that it ought to be easier. However, I should be getting my molds back from Westone this monday, so I'll find out soon enough.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should note though, that when the audiologist took out the mold it was really LONG! I only saw it briefly, but it appeared to be around 1 inch...far past the bend in the canal. But, I'll give you guys more details about the earmold thing later when I get them.

Sep 29, 2001 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 8
You did it through your school right? How much does the procedure cost.

And is there any way to pay it with insurance and pretend that you are going deaf or something. Haha jk. Maybe say that they are for hearing aids...to aid you in hearing music better. Also what did you tell the audiologist when they ask you why you need earmolds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back