Question for DEQ2496 owners
Aug 19, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

judo

Head-Fier
I have bought a used Behringer DEQ2496 and the problem is the optical in does not lock to any source. The source is selected on I/O menu page1, the format (spdif) on page2. Analog in is going. It was tried out with many consumer sources, on 41.1,48 sample rate with many optical cables but stayes unlocked. Is there any other adjustment that I do not know about ? I have tried out the XLR digital in with some quickly made rca-xlr cable , it is locking to the input 44,1 until the music starts then changes to unlocked but some distorted sound hearable. I think this could be normal. The question is I need to send back the DEQ to the seller or not.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Go to I/O menu number one (it'll say I/O 1 in the upper left hand corner). In the upper right hand corner is a selection for "CLOCK." You use the top small black knob to set it. Set it for the sample rate of your optical input source (sounds like it's 44.1). Let me know how it goes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by judo
I have bought a used Behringer DEQ2496 and the problem is the optical in does not lock to any source. The source is selected on I/O menu page1, the format (spdif) on page2. Analog in is going. It was tried out with many consumer sources, on 41.1,48 sample rate with many optical cables but stayes unlocked. Is there any other adjustment that I do not know about ? I have tried out the XLR digital in with some quickly made rca-xlr cable , it is locking to the input 44,1 until the music starts then changes to unlocked but some distorted sound hearable. I think this could be normal. The question is I need to send back the DEQ to the seller or not.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Double post -- first one in a long time.

But anyway, I just fished around with my DEQ2496 having the input from a Sony DVD player to the optical input, playing a redbook CD. The DEQ2496 optical input simply locked at 44.1 khz, no setting required.

I KNOW I had a similar problem and fixed it, I just can't for the life of me remember how. It was a couple of years ago and it was a one-time change in settings. If I have a eureka moment I'll get back to you. There's a possiblity you have a defective DEQ2496, but I just know I had the same problem...

Good luck.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 10
When OptIn is slected it does not let the clock change. Selecting MainIn changing the clock to 41 selecting OptIN again the clock is optin and the state is Unlocked. I tried this earlier (and now again) and this was in the user manual but you are right who knows ?

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks. I am reading your second post after my previous answer. I am waiting for the seller's answer perhaps he knows the trick. I am afraid the answer will be : it was good when I sent it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 10
I remember what my problem was now. I was using the optical in of the DEQ2496, and sending the DEQ2496 optical out to a digital recorder (using it in monitor mode) with a nice headphone out. I had to manually re-set the clock in my digital recorder to accept the digital output from the DEQ2496.

So if you're using the DEQ2496 optical out and using an external DAC, something like that could be your problem. But my problem was not with the DEQ2496 itself, now that I think about it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by judo
Thanks. I am reading your second post after my previous answer. I am waiting for the seller's answer perhaps he knows the trick. I am afraid the answer will be : it was good when I sent it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi Steve, my seller answered expectedly
smily_headphones1.gif
I have no fortune on ebay this is the second DOA item in a short time.
But what I would like to ask from you or from anybody who is interested: have you used the digi xlr in with spdif - normal, ttl or cmos level - source ? I played a little with the deq becasue I was curios the optical receiver only or the digi in circuitry has been damaged. I have used a meter 75 ohm koax between the xlr and rca connector without any matching. Before it a little device what boosts the spdif level to ttl level (it is a 74hct04, more gates paralell with a dedikated 7805 ps. I know format,impedance, level matching needed and sometimes the last two, perhaps the last one is enough ) The result is contradictionary I have cd players and dvds and two sony dats with coax out. Only the dats are working the tcd-d8 with or without boosting (it has ttl level output) the tcd-d100 (it has cmos level output) with the booster. The deq's clock locks to the sample rate of the recordings 44.1, 48 but not to 32. At 32 it stays unlocked but the sound is good. In any other case with any other source with booster or without booster unlocked and there is no sound. What do yo think this about ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back