Question for better SQ
Oct 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ziphyx

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

My current setup I use mostly while at home:
Laptop - Winamp - Focusrite scarlett 2i2 - Hifiman HE-400

I was under the impression that the scarlett 2i2 functioned as a DAC/Amp, though I found that it did not deliver the power that I wanted, so I thought I should buy an headphone amp for improved SQ. Although, I tried plugging my hifiman directly in my laptop, so ignoring the 2i2, and found little to no difference in sound. That got me confused as my 2i2 should function as a DAC, or the DAC chip in my laptop is equally good, of which I'm skeptical about. So now my question is, regarding the improvement of the SQ that can be delivered. Am I better of buying a DAC or an amp? For better detail retrieving, less sibilance etc.

Thanks in advance 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Since you prolly need the recording functions of your scarlett I would say buy a headphone amp, Schiit magni is a good choice and is very affordable. Unless your not really happy at all with your scarlett.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 3
  Since you prolly need the recording functions of your scarlett I would say buy a headphone amp, Schiit magni is a good choice and is very affordable. Unless your not really happy at all with your scarlett.

Indeed I do use it for recording purposes. And I am happy with the recording features of it, though I just don't see it as a very good DAC or amp. I was inclined to buy an amp rather than a DAC anyway so I will probably start with that. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back