Question for any M-audio Audiophile USB users..
Jul 3, 2005 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stefan

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,
Thinking of getting an M-Audio Audiophile USB....

Here's what I need to do:

1. Start off with a good external PC soundcard/DAC by using its analogue outs to connect to my monoblocks, and basically use it as a preamp.

2. Eventually (perhaps after six months or so) just use it to get digital out and buy a decent external DAC/preamp (such as the benchmark DAC1).

So what I need is:
- Very good quality analogue out.
- Bit perfect digital out.

Does the M-Audio audiophile USB fit the bill? What makes it interesting is it also has a headphine jack and volume knob.
Have searched forums but there seem to be conflicting opinions....

thx, stefan

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 5
For it's digital out it should work fine. The only limitation here is that it only has coax (no toslink).

As far as using its analog outputs. I personally find it to be quite harsh and unenvolving but YMMV.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks jasper.
I see from your signature you have the 1212m -- do you find the analogue out of that to be better than the audiophile USB?
You're right, only having coaxial digital out is a limitation on the audiophile, and i see the 1212 has both.... so I may opt for the 1212 instead...

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Bump again, sorry.
But need to put in an order now....

Either I go for a 0404 or an audiophile USB. I would be using analogue outs for the time being.
If I got the 0404, I would have to control the volume through the PC software, so having the audiophile USB with its own vol control coumd be a plus....

Any hints would be appreciated......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back