Question for an ATH-M50 modular headset mod
Aug 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xaero252

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of ATH-m50s (not the highest end cans, I know, which is actually why they are the target of this mod) Which I plan on modding for the purpose of switching out the cable.

I also happen to have a boom mic from a broken Creative Fatal1ty headseat, and was hoping to turn my ATH-m50s into a dual-purpose pair of cans.

For the interconnect from the headphones to a regular amp/source device I was thinking of using Canare star-quad cable with either neutrik or pailiccs terminations. (3.5mm)

For using it with a mic I'm not sure which cable to use, or which plugs/jacks.

For example, the iphone has a 3.5mm plug on the bottom that works fine with regular headphones, but when you plug the headset that comes with the phone (it has 4 contacts vs 3 on the 3.5mm jack) it works for both outgoing and incoming audio
Where can I find a surface mount version of this? Also, where can I find a 3.5mm plug with 4 contacts?

From there I was going to have it Y-split to a Microphone 3.5mm jack and a headphone 3.5mm jack to use as a standard PC headset. This way I can just disconnect the mic and the cable when I leave my PC and connect up to a hopefully shorter cable for regular listening/listening on the go.

Sorry if I am unclear on what exactly I want to do, I'm not really sure how to word it so it makes sense.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of ATH-m50s (not the highest end cans, I know, which is actually why they are the target of this mod) Which I plan on modding for the purpose of switching out the cable.

I also happen to have a boom mic from a broken Creative Fatal1ty headseat, and was hoping to turn my ATH-m50s into a dual-purpose pair of cans.

For the interconnect from the headphones to a regular amp/source device I was thinking of using Canare star-quad cable with either neutrik or pailiccs terminations. (3.5mm)

For using it with a mic I'm not sure which cable to use, or which plugs/jacks.

For example, the iphone has a 3.5mm plug on the bottom that works fine with regular headphones, but when you plug the headset that comes with the phone (it has 4 contacts vs 3 on the 3.5mm jack) it works for both outgoing and incoming audio
Where can I find a surface mount version of this? Also, where can I find a 3.5mm plug with 4 contacts?

From there I was going to have it Y-split to a Microphone 3.5mm jack and a headphone 3.5mm jack to use as a standard PC headset. This way I can just disconnect the mic and the cable when I leave my PC and connect up to a hopefully shorter cable for regular listening/listening on the go.

Sorry if I am unclear on what exactly I want to do, I'm not really sure how to word it so it makes sense.

The 4 contact jack (TRRS) can accept the typical 3 contact plugs. You'll want that for the headphone side. Try mouser or RS if you're ok with buying online. Providing which country you're from might help too. :D

And since you already have a boom mic, Why not just attach a jack to the end and you then have a detachable mic? Slightly trickier with the internal wiring but someone's done it before on these forums. I just can't seem to find the thread. Might have been a AD700 repaint. Memory's a bit fuzzy.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484176/dark-knight-ad700-gaming-mod-lots-of-pics

Apparently my memory's not so bad afterall.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 5
I approve of this mod. I like the idea of being able to plug in a mic boom right into the phones if you need to. You could even get fancy and make it a stereo mic. They sky is the limit.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 5
My original intention was to have a detachable mic.

I was thinking about that, the mic I have has a TRS 2.5mm plug on it, so it is presumably stereo. In the case of using stereo audio and a stereo mic I would probably have to use two separate cables one for the mic, and one for the headphones themselves, right?
Unless they make a TRRRS but now we're just getting ridiculous. 
Maybe if I use a different type of connector on the headphone side, and retain the TRS connector on the other end, since Canare Quad-Star cable has a shield and 4 conductors its presumably possible to use it for the application, sharing the ground line between the mic and headphones.

So basically, now I need to ask a better set of questions:

1.) Will sound quality be affected if I share the ground line between the headphone and microphone functions of the headset?
2.) If I use the shield of the Star-Quad cable for the ground, am I potentially defeating the purpose of the shielding?
3.) My mic has a TRS connector on it, so it is indeed stereo,  correct?
4.) What low profile connector can I use on the headphone side that accepts 5 (or 4 with a shield contact) seperate conductors?
5.) If either 1 or 2 will affect sound quality, are there any cables that have 6 total conductors?

Quick edit:
What about something like an RJ25 connector? I'd like to stay away from those, since they are usually pretty brittle, but I may be able to find a metal one. I think thats about as low profile as you can get right?

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Bump to this as I am in very a similar situation: hoping to make a modular headset with removable mic.
My assumption is that almost all headset mics are mono even if it's with a TRS connection.

So assuming a mono TRS mic, and a 4 conductor cable is run in to a TRRS, is the mic's ring & sleeve then connected to ground?

Thanks in advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back