Question for all you Firefox users
Jul 2, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #16 of 34
Wow my firefox clean install is hosed. Can't install any plugin's or themes...
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 34
usually you have to exit and restart FF after you download a new theme. Not all themes will work. read the particulars when you go to the theme update page (in the themes subsection (hit the link) of the tools section).

as for plug-ins, I usually just install Sun's latest Java. I just don't trust blindly installing plug-ins as most were written for Mozilla. One site that I hate visiting is anandtech.com as their graphics are usually the plug in types. I just don't bother. I hate plug-ins.

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #18 of 34
Well...AdBlock won't install for my 9.1 clean install. I click the install like - it looks like its downloading it and nothing. I downloaded the *.jar and dragged it into the extension window - that didn't work either.
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 34
why are you adding AdBlock when FF has a built in ad blocker?

The third button "Plug-in Faq" says ( http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html ):

Quote:

Remove AdBlock before installing Firefox 0.9

When you install Mozilla Firefox 0.9, you may experience problems viewing Macromedia Flash content if you had a previous version of Firefox and the AdBlock extension installed.

Before installing Firefox 0.9, you should uninstall your previous version of Firefox, and remove the chrome and extensions folders from your profile - but back up userChrome.css and userContent.css first if you use them.

This problem is caused by the Flash filtering code in AdBlock, and does not appear to require the user to enable it. You will need to visit the AdBlock Project to see if there is an updated build of AdBlock that fixes this problem.

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 34
Is anyone using the new version of FF yet? (0.9.1)

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador

I just upgraded. Am I mistaken in that it seems as if there are less options to be set, or could be set? Like Themes? I was used to the old theme I had under 0.8. This one is okay, I guess. Themes has been moved under a separate TOOLS sub-menu. There are no optional themes available; yet.

It seems to take half the time to start.

I still have to get used to the new upper right logo. While I hated the Mozilla lizard I really like the Fire Fox 'sickle' (?). The new logo seems to load up so fast that one can't really see its multi-coloured rotating lights (which now only look grey).

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador

I have been for a couple of days now and really like it. I used Mozilla for a while, but went back to IE because it wasn't behaving. FF is being a really good boy right now.

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 34
So, by the end of summer, we should be at Mozilla FireFox 1.0 and ThunderBird 1.0. That in itself speaks volumes. I might send the Mozilla Foundation some ideas about security. I like security a lot.

Jul 5, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 34
Okay.. ongoing problem with firefox.

I click on an extension to install.. and sometimes it would ask me to open it or save to a file instead of just popping up the installer.

I have 0.9.0+.

What do I do?

Also.. what extensions are recommended?

[now it says that plugins can't be installed cause they only support versions 0.7+ to 0.9..]

Jul 6, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 34
I also have a question. Instead of opening links in a new window, is there any way I can make them open in a neew tab? Also, I can't get the plugin at sodaplay.com to work.

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
If you right-click on a link in FireFox, choose the "Open Link In New Tab" option and you will be all set.

Get Tabbrowser Extensions and Super Drag and drop

Tabbrowser allows better tab management and with super drag and go you can click and drag a link to open in a new tab. Also you can highlight a word and click and drag, which will open a new tab for a google search of that word. This feature is similar to the feature in MYIE2.

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvie1234
Okay.. ongoing problem with firefox.

I click on an extension to install.. and sometimes it would ask me to open it or save to a file instead of just popping up the installer.

I have 0.9.0+.

What do I do?

Also.. what extensions are recommended?

[now it says that plugins can't be installed cause they only support versions 0.7+ to 0.9..]

Your needs and preferences will usually help you decide which extensions are a necessity. Try to keep in mind that the more extensions you install for both FireFox and ThunderBird, especially given the fact that both programs are still in developmental stage, will not only add bloat (unnecessary features that are unused and wasted) but it will increase the chances of instability when your computer is being tasked by different applications or background services. It also adds clutter to your personal folder and it makes uninstallation should it be necessary a bit more complicated.

I recommend that you think before installing a whole bunch of extensions for either program. Avoid other people's ratings of certain extensions and try to keep the original state of both programs in tact as much as possible.

For me, I use FireFox 0.9.1 with the NOIA theme and ChatZilla, CompactMenu, and Sort Bookmarks extensions. For ThunderBird 0.7.1, I use the NOIA theme with zero extensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back