[Question] Best DAC under $150 for KRK RP6G2?
Feb 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pss395

Head-Fier
Hi all fellow Head-fier :)
I just bought my first set of "nice" speaker, the KRK RP6G2. I only need to listen music, not mixing or anything. Currently my setup is like:
Macbook Air -> Hifiman HM-101 via usb -> RP6G2 via 3.5 male to RCA.

The sound of this setup is kind meh. It's not as impressive as I heard when I demoed the KRK in store. I think I just need a better DAC. A guy suggested me to buy a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, with the volume control built in and balanced output. But I'm kinda skeptical, since it's a recording interface, so the Dac inside them is not as good, plus maybe it could sound too analytical for my taste. 

So I'm looking for: a musical Dac with warm smooth sound <$150. connect via USB. Can be audio interface but must sound good. I listen to all kind of music and playing games on my macbook.
Any recommendation is highly appreciated!

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi fellow studio monitor hifi'er. There is not too many of us non mixing studio monitor guys. DAC will limit how good your speakers will sound. They will bring out every ounce of potential your speakers have. I personally use M-Audio Bx5 D2's which are similar in class to your speakers. You cannot use my DAC the Essence ST but there is plenty to choose from. The best for the money would probably be the Objective ODAC. Schiit Modi/Loki would also do decent. Audioengine D1. Enjoy whatever DAC you choose, your speakers will sound much better. But consider getting a subwoofer because when I added my "cheap" sub it made music listening twice as good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back