Question about y-splitters
Dec 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spykez

100+ Head-Fier
So I got two devices that need to use my Little Dot MKIII's input, however it only has one. I was wondering if there'd be an issue using a Y-splitter to plug them both in?

Got a DJPreII (for my turntable) and a Schiit Modi (computer) that both go into it.

Or is there an easier way to do this?

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 7
That's might not be a good idea. A Y splitter is meant to go from one source to two devices, not the other way around. It will wire all of the devices in parallel, so your computers output will also be driving a signal into the output of your turntable, and vice versa. I don't know how bad that would actually be, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to drive power into the output of another device. It would definitely be a problem if both devices are trying to drive a signal at the same time because they would be fighting against eachother. You need some kind of switch or mixer. The Schiit SYS is the only one I know of off hand.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 7
ugh..I already got enough devices on my desk lol.

Why can't anyone just make a simple switcher without volume control .___.

Already got the DJ + Little Dot MKIII + Topping VX1 (if I want to listen to it on speakers) controling volume. Is THAT going to be an issue now? that much volume control?

There has to be some sort of switch box or something.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Just do a quick google search for an RCA switch, there are tons of them. Like this one, which looks like exactly what you would want. It seems a little expensive for just a switch, it was just the first one I saw.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 7
that one is def interesting, one even mentioned the modi too :) kind of a dumb design but whatever. I'm just worried about it causing hums and noise, so they say it's quiet it sounds good to me :)

Unless I can find some other ones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Someone over on overclock.net found me this one :)

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-6170

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 7
After all this time, I had no idea Schiit made something. I don't remember seeing this on their site before.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back