Question about Xonar Essence Stx
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gamingfreak977

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a quick question about my sound card.

Some time this week I should be getting a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 headphones and my plan was to plug them straight into my Essence STX, however, the output impedance has me a bit concerned that it won't pair well with these headphones. Will there be a problem? Also if there is going to be a problem, is the impedance due to the built in amp on the sound card and could I resolve it by plugging in a separate amp via the RCA outputs?

Sorry if these are noob questions as I am still learning about audio equipment so any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks.  

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 3
  Hi, I have a quick question about my sound card.
Some time this week I should be getting a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 headphones and my plan was to plug them straight into my Essence STX, however, the output impedance has me a bit concerned that it won't pair well with these headphones. Will there be a problem? Also if there is going to be a problem, is the impedance due to the built in amp on the sound card and could I resolve it by plugging in a separate amp via the RCA outputs?
Sorry if these are noob questions as I am still learning about audio equipment so any advice will be much appreciated!

Technically with the 30-Ohm Philips headphones, you would want to use a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of 4-Ohms or less, and the STX's output is 10-Ohms.
I have plugged my 32-Ohm AKG K550 into my STX and it sounded fine to me

You could get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99, which has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
But as you would be connecting the Magni to the STX's RCA jacks, you would not be able to use the STX's Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound, you would only get basic stereo (2-channel) audio, which is just fine for music.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 3
  Technically with the 30-Ohm Philips headphones, you would want to use a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of 4-Ohms or less, and the STX's output is 10-Ohms.
I have plugged my 32-Ohm AKG K550 into my STX and it sounded fine to me

You could get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99, which has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
But as you would be connecting the Magni to the STX's RCA jacks, you would not be able to use the STX's Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound, you would only get basic stereo (2-channel) audio, which is just fine for music.

I was already considering the schiit magni as an amp as it seems to get quite a lot of praise around here. I'm not too bothered about the dolby surround as I never use it so that's not a problem. I'll give the headphones a test with the stx amp and see if they're ok and if not I'll go ahead and order the magni at some point.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back