Question about wireless music streaming from smartphone
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

InternetSandman

Head-Fier
I'm setting up a home music streaming system, using my iPhone 5 as a wireless bridge between my DLNA-enabled NAS and my (eventual) hifi headphone system, but I need a way to get the music from the phone, wirelessly, to a compatible reciever to pass along the digital signal to my DAC

I originally planned on using a bluetooth connection, but I realized that bluetooth compresses the audio and I have a fair bit of 24/96 audio files that I'd rather not have compressed through the transmission, so then I started looking at Airplay but I can't find anything other than the Apple TV/Airport Express that would be able to simply recieve a signal and pass it onto another part of the system, and those products both downsample to 16/44

My question is this: Are there any products that can act as a wireless reciever for a smartphone (whether it uses Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplay, or another technology doesn't really matter to me) that won't compress or downsample the music before passing it along to the next link in the system chain? At the very least I would like it to be capable of 24-bit digital audio output, but the more capable it is, the better.

I've looked at products like the Olive One, which seems to be in a kickstarter-esque phase and won't be available soon, as well as wireless streaming products from Marantz, but those seem to be more all-in-one solutions instead of just a reciever, or a 'pass through' if you will, and they don't clarify the audio resolution capability over airplay (but otherwise they seem great)

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 13
More options than you could imagine....

See great resource here:http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

There are a lot of other options too. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Drew

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 13
More options than you could imagine....

See great resource here:http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

There are a lot of other options too. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Drew

I keep hearing that there are a lot of options but nobody ever lists them or anything, giving examples and opinions of specific products/methods

Thank you for the link though

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Want to make sure I understand. You want to send lossless audio from smart phone (apple?) to your home audio system? Using your phone both as server and as control point? And some fikes are greater than 16/24?

All in ALAC or FLAC or???

Drew

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 13
I wasn't aware audio could be basically told to go from the NAS to the home audio system without having to be routed through my phone, because what I had originally planned was to have the audio streamed to my phone and then send it wirelessly from there to the home audio system. I'm woefully inexperienced with this stuff, I came to realize after reading the link you showed me, there's much more depth than I had assumed in regards to what can be done and what's needed

A good deal of my files are greater than 16/44, most of them being at least 24/44 or greater, and the vast majority of them are either FLAC or WAV, some ALAC and two albums that Foobar2000 reports as being PCM

All that the NAS has to do is send the music to the wireless reciever, whatever it may be, is that correct? No real special software should be needed if it's UPNP/DLNA compatible?

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 13
Ok so after doing a bit more research, my question has basically evolved into this:

Are there any wireless DLNA/UPnP recievers that can either act as a digital pass through to a headphone system without compressing the audio, or have an internal 24/192 DAC built in that can then pass audio out to my amplifier?

If it's just a pass through I'd really not want something too expensive, because that's all it would be doing and dropping 600 dollars on that wouldn't be justified, but if it has a built in DAC I'm willing to pay a lot more for it

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Get a decent DAC then a second hand netbook.

Use UPNP to send the music from your source, whatever you want, to your netbook over the network. UPNP just sends a lossless .wav stream from one device to another, so what you play is what you hear. I would suggest getting a netbook and installing daphile myself. In options you can enable UPNP server and renderer.

If any of this doesn't make sense just ask. YOu can of course also just put the music on your netbook as well, and cut out the middle man.

The all important link:
http://www.daphile.com/

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 13
Get a decent DAC then a second hand netbook.

Use UPNP to send the music from your source, whatever you want, to your netbook over the network. UPNP just sends a lossless .wav stream from one device to another, so what you play is what you hear. I would suggest getting a netbook and installing daphile myself. In options you can enable UPNP server and renderer.

If any of this doesn't make sense just ask. YOu can of course also just put the music on your netbook as well, and cut out the middle man.

The all important link:
http://www.daphile.com/

It seems like an effective solution but not quite as elegant as what I found; the Denon DNP-720AE. I can simply stack my DAC and amp on top of it, and control it using my smartphone. It's not quite as inexpensive as I was hoping for but it's not ridiculous either, so now the only problem is finding a place that sells one in Canada haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back