Question about Vinyl and CDs.
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 46
I don't that I like Monty's condescending attitude enough to watch all 24 minutes of that. Can't you boil it down for me. it can't be that difficult. A couple sentences. Meanwhile I'll suffer through monty's pontification and see if I can glean the nuggets and proof that no music is chopped and forgotten. If I watch all 24 minutes and he doesn't address that fact, I'm comin' after you sir ! my time is precious, I'll be back soon

alright man, I'm back. Monty skipped a step. just because after the stairstepped signal is regenerated back into an analog wave to hear, does not mean it's the same signal. I can take a can of tuna, eat, it and have it come out a day later looking pretty much just like the original can of tuna. Does that mean i'd eat it again !

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #21 of 46
I clearly implied I would not eat it, therefore I did in fact admit the ability to tell the difference. Look man, I'm asking for help, I really want to understand why LP's sound different than CD. You have heard Lp's haven't you? Did you not feel anything different?  An LP has more nutrition for me. but not everyone's into nutrition. Amazingly we can survive almost the same length of time eating processed food, and no one wins in the end so it's a moot point. Listen to whatever you like

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 46
If you prefer LPs, great!  No one here is insisting you must prefer digital.  I have a few hundred LPs of my own.  When I listen to them, I enjoy them very much.  Neither do I kid myself that the LP is "inherently" superior to digital.  You are the one saying that LPs have "information" that digital has somehow discarded.  Care to show some proof of that? 

LPs have about 25dB stereo separation, CDs about 90dB.  LPs have about 70dB dynamic range, CDs over 90dB.   LPs have "groove noise," CDs do not.  LPs are susceptible to dirt and dust, CDs are not.  LPs are subject to rumble and wow, CDs are not.  LPs degrade their HF performance as the groove approaches the label.  CDs sound the same from start to finish.  In pretty much every measurable parameter, CDs spank LPs, but you want me to think that since you claim the CD has a "stair step" signal it is inferior to an LP and that somehow the LP has "more information."  An LP is simply a way of preserving a waveform.  A CD can preserve the identical waveform and do so with less distortion than the LP. 

As others have pointed out, the fragility of the LP format may have dictated more care in the mastering phase, but there is nothing in the LP format that makes it superior to CD.   

Enjoy your LPs!  But you are wasting your time if you are trying to tell this forum that LPs have some sort of magical properties that CDs lack.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #25 of 46
You're the one who said digital leaves something behind that LPs  do not.  Care to share with us what that is?   Care to share with us a demonstration of your claims?

There is no magic to audio.  A vinyl LP is simply one way of preserving an audio waveform.  A CD is simply a different way of preserving the exact same wave form, only with far less distortion and noise.  As proof of my assertion I refer you to the specifications for the different formats.  You are asserting that somehow, despite all of its shortcomings, vinyl preserves something that digital lacks.  OK.  What evidence do you have to support your assertion?  Your claim that digital is "stair steps" has been refuted by the video I linked you to above.  Your anecdotal claims that LPs are better mastered in no way address your claims that the LP media is inherently superior. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #27 of 46
Well, CD can be considered superior in that you can record an LP in Red Book format and then have difficulty telling it apart from the original if the recording and comparison are done properly, but the other way around the degradation is much easier to notice (although not so easy to test as most people cannot make LPs at home).

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #29 of 46
"My question is is there a way of digitising(seems like right word?) records so they can be played on music players/computers.And if so will that file EVER be of a higher quality than the lossless files i've imported from my CD's,or is vinyl only better when played on a record player"

TASCAM manufacturers a CD recorder that works like a cassette deck (if you are old enough to remember those). I use one to digitize LPs. It is easy to use and works perfectly. The resulting CDs have no copy protection, the tracks can be ripped to a hard drive, and they sound EXACTLY like the LP:

http://tascam.com/product/cc-222slmkii/

I own LPs of music that has not been reissued on CD. Otherwise, I go with the CD. LPs can sound great, but LPs can sound awful, too, and I don't believe that the format is inherently superior to digital.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #30 of 46
I own LPs of music that has not been reissued on CD. Otherwise, I go with the CD. LPs can sound great, but LPs can sound awful, too, and I don't believe that the format is inherently superior to digital.

Exactly. One format isn't always superior to the other, it is more dependent on the quality of the master. Here's a great podcast interview from NPR that I found really explained the two perfectly and it really points to the fact that neither is superior when it comes to music playback → http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back