Question about vintage marantz receivers
Feb 11, 2007 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
I always read about how good the vintage marantz receivers are. I was wondering what model numbers should I be looking for if I was to use it with budget speakers and headphones. Also I would like to know how much I would likely spend for one of these.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always read about how good the vintage marantz receivers are. I was wondering what model numbers should I be looking for if I was to use it with budget speakers and headphones. Also I would like to know how much I would likely spend for one of these.

Well not only the old ones, the new are very good as well, I doubt that any of those oldies entrance level will sound like my PM7200 in Class-A

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

well, im looking for more of a budget solution for a home/dorm system so under 100 would be nice.

marantz amps have become almost extinct, budget maybe, but under 100? I doubt, even a vintage will be over 100 nowadays, I think...

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Philips bought Superscope in 1980 and Superscope bought Marantz in 1964 so what you want to focus on is pre 1980 Marantz equipment and the earlier the better.

The tube stuff Marantz built was built to compete with McIntosh as was some of the early solid state.

Here is a site with all the Marantz products pre 1980. Linky

The tube Marantz stuff is very expensive and highly sought after. The solid state equipment usually needs some updating, aligning and recapping, etc. when purchased.

Where to find cheap. Search Craigslist, visit your local Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Lower wattage stuff is quite reasonable, however the monster receivers of 100wpc and up go for big bucks.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philips bought Superscope in 1980 and Superscope bought Marantz in 1964 so what you want to focus on is pre 1980 Marantz equipment and the earlier the better.

The tube stuff Marantz built was built to compete with McIntosh as was some of the early solid state.

Here is a site with all the Marantz products pre 1980. Linky

The tube Marantz stuff is very expensive and highly sought after. The solid state equipment usually needs some updating, aligning and recapping, etc. when purchased.

Where to find cheap. Search Craigslist, visit your local Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Lower wattage stuff is quite reasonable, however the monster receivers of 100wpc and up go for big bucks.

thanks alot for that, i'll be looking around for some of those

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 9
You could also look for other 70s era receivers. From what I understand, most Japanese components from this period were pretty well put together, along with some American brands (example: My dad's 70s KLH amp has an excellent headphone section).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back