Question about using Astro Mixamp with Xonar Phoebus and PC360
Aug 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thetruth1983

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I registered here because I was told that someone here should be able to help me. I will try my best to explain my setup so my question doesn't sound confusing. At my desk, I have 2 computers. One is a dedicated gaming PC and the other is a low power media pc that is only used for recording Comcast cable. Originally, I had a Xonar DX in my gaming pc with a optical cable going to my Astro Mixamp. I also had a USB cable from my media pc going into the Astro mixamp. This setup allowed me to hear my games from my gaming pc while also catching up on the news/tv shows from my media pc. Since the Mixamp can mix the USB audio/Optical audio simultaneously, I was able to use the mixamp to balance the audio of each.

I have since learned how much better a clean analog signal is versus optical. I also sold my DX and upgraded to a Phoebus. The sound from the Phoebus is phenomenal and beats the Dolby Digital Live any day. I am using the Phoebus with the control box which is connected to my PC360s. I also have the Phoebus set to the high gain setting (64-150 ohms). The PC360s are only 50 ohms so I make sure that I don't adjust the volume too high. Setting the gain to high gives me a richer sound and also more volume than I would get from the Mixamp.

The problem with my new setup is that I am unable to balance my gaming/tv audio as I did before. I have tried connecting the line out from the media pc to the Line in on the Phoebus. This introduces a hiss to the signal and I'm also not able to balance the volume as before. I can either adjust the master volume on either the gaming pc or the media pc.

I noticed that the Astro Mixamp has RCA analog inputs which brings me to my question. Would I damage the mixamp or the PC360s if I plug the line out from the Phoebus into the Analog input on the mixamp? I would not be using the dolby button on the mixamp since I will be using the software on the PC. I don't know what to expect since my sound card has a amp already. I do not want to damage any equipment so I was hoping someone here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hello,

I registered here because I was told that someone here should be able to help me. I will try my best to explain my setup so my question doesn't sound confusing. At my desk, I have 2 computers. One is a dedicated gaming PC and the other is a low power media pc that is only used for recording Comcast cable. Originally, I had a Xonar DX in my gaming pc with a optical cable going to my Astro Mixamp. I also had a USB cable from my media pc going into the Astro mixamp. This setup allowed me to hear my games from my gaming pc while also catching up on the news/tv shows from my media pc. Since the Mixamp can mix the USB audio/Optical audio simultaneously, I was able to use the mixamp to balance the audio of each.

I have since learned how much better a clean analog signal is versus optical. I also sold my DX and upgraded to a Phoebus. The sound from the Phoebus is phenomenal and beats the Dolby Digital Live any day. I am using the Phoebus with the control box which is connected to my PC360s. I also have the Phoebus set to the high gain setting (64-150 ohms). The PC360s are only 50 ohms so I make sure that I don't adjust the volume too high. Setting the gain to high gives me a richer sound and also more volume than I would get from the Mixamp.

The problem with my new setup is that I am unable to balance my gaming/tv audio as I did before. I have tried connecting the line out from the media pc to the Line in on the Phoebus. This introduces a hiss to the signal and I'm also not able to balance the volume as before. I can either adjust the master volume on either the gaming pc or the media pc.

I noticed that the Astro Mixamp has RCA analog inputs which brings me to my question. Would I damage the mixamp or the PC360s if I plug the line out from the Phoebus into the Analog input on the mixamp? I would not be using the dolby button on the mixamp since I will be using the software on the PC. I don't know what to expect since my sound card has a amp already. I do not want to damage any equipment so I was hoping someone here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

Can't you just run optical from the Phoebus to the Mix-amp. like you had before?

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I guess I could but then I wouldn't be able to use a lot of the cool features of the Phoebus since the Mixamp would be doing all the decoding.

Guess you could try your idea, have no idea on how well it would work.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 10
hi, i have a question for the OP.
when you upgraded your sound card, you eliminated the astro mixamp and got better sound using the PC360 straight into the audio card?
in games was the pin-point directional sound as good or better?

i just want to make sure i understood correctly since i am looking into upgrading my sound and i had decided to get the PC360 headset, the astro mixamp, and either the Xonar Phoebus or the Xonar Essense STX. but if i get better results using the Xonar Phoebus and the PC360 alone i would love to save the $125.

would appreciate input from anyone that is familiar with the setup or technology.

thank you for your time! 

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
When you upgraded your sound card, you eliminated the astro mixamp and got better sound using the PC360 straight into the audio card?
in games was the pin-point directional sound as good or better?

i just want to make sure i understood correctly since i am looking into upgrading my sound and i had decided to get the PC360 headset, the Astro Mix-amp, and either the Xonar Phoebus or the Xonar Essense STX. but if i get better results using the Xonar Phoebus and the PC360 alone i would love to save the $125.

would appreciate input from anyone that is familiar with the setup or technology.

Once you have the Phoebus (or Essence STX or ST) installed in your PC, You really have no need for the Astro Mix-Amp.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 10
I finally got around to testing the 5V line and I can confirm that it isn't giving off any power. That would explain why I couldn't get the SPDIF bracket to work. Also, I found out that with the 7.1 headset, the side speakers are matrixed since most games don't even support 7.1. I unplugged those speakers from the PC and my wife didn't know the difference until I told her. I will be able to use the SPDIF on the Phoebus and she can also use her Tiamat in 5.1 mode which is pretty much the same thing.

In regards to the Astro mixamp, I am still using it with my Phoebus. I have 2 computers at my desk which is the gaming pc and my htpc. I have usb audio coming from the HTPC into the mixamp so I can listen to my TV. I have a analog y cable coming from the phoebus into the mixamp. I have the dolby off on the mixamp and I use the settings on the pc. This allows me to watch tv and also play games while balancing the audio with the mixamp. It sounds great to me this way but if I didn't have to watch my tv, the breakout box that comes with the Phoebus should be more than enough. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 10
thank you.
i also read on another forum that the digital to analog conversion point is the important part.
if you connect the sould card to the mixamp with the SPDIF then the mixamp is doing the conversion and the card is much less important.
if you connect from the card straight to the headphones, then the card is doing the conversion.
the last thing im wodering about now is if the amp in the Astro Mixamp or in the Xonar Phoebus is stronger for providing the best sound to the headphones.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 10
From what I understand, Dolby Digital live is compressed while analog is not. That's why I have analog running to my mixamp instead of SPDIF. I do have a pair of A50s and they are connected to the SPDIF and my xbox since they don't support analog connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back