question about using 2 amps to power 1 headphone
Jun 12, 2023 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

some dude

Head-Fier
I was wondering if it would make any sense at all to use 2 amps sort of like mono blocks. Just for an example let’s say you had 2 bottlehead cracks and wired one up to only do right and the other to only do left. Would there be any significant improvement vs just using one in stereo?

I’m more curious than anything, not sure if I would try it or not. I figure since no one seems to be doing it there is probably a good reason.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 3
I was wondering if it would make any sense at all to use 2 amps sort of like mono blocks. Just for an example let’s say you had 2 bottlehead cracks and wired one up to only do right and the other to only do left. Would there be any significant improvement vs just using one in stereo?

I’m more curious than anything, not sure if I would try it or not. I figure since no one seems to be doing it there is probably a good reason.

Assuming you can wire it up properly...you get higher channel separation and more power if you can sort of "bridge" the output of each amp or run it balanced.

But now you have two volume controls/preamp stages to worry about. Or three if you use one preamp for unity gain and then set two rewired amps to run balanced or bridged.

Honestly just go with a dual mono amp like some tube amps or some stuff from Little Dot or a balanced amp. Note: some single ended amps can produce enough power thatg would be unnecessary for anything but the lower sensitivity HiFiMan planars or electrostats (that use a completely different amplifier ie very high voltage output) instead of just hooking up two amps that you have to rewire to work properly otherwise you're basically just making each amp's power supply handle only half the load for double the expense...which isn't necessarily going to mean you get better current drive unlike using two 25w monoblocs or a 25w x 2 dual mono on a speaker system vs a 25w x 2 amp that has a very slight bit of a disadvantage delivering that power to two 8ohm speakers.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Assuming you can wire it up properly...you get higher channel separation and more power if you can sort of "bridge" the output of each amp or run it balanced.

But now you have two volume controls/preamp stages to worry about. Or three if you use one preamp for unity gain and then set two rewired amps to run balanced or bridged.

Honestly just go with a dual mono amp like some tube amps or some stuff from Little Dot or a balanced amp. Note: some single ended amps can produce enough power thatg would be unnecessary for anything but the lower sensitivity HiFiMan planars or electrostats (that use a completely different amplifier ie very high voltage output) instead of just hooking up two amps that you have to rewire to work properly otherwise you're basically just making each amp's power supply handle only half the load for double the expense...which isn't necessarily going to mean you get better current drive unlike using two 25w monoblocs or a 25w x 2 dual mono on a speaker system vs a 25w x 2 amp that has a very slight bit of a disadvantage delivering that power to two 8ohm speakers.
Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I would be powering a HiFiman he1000se which is very easy to drive. I was mostly just curious about the fidelity gains more so than the power gains. I’m guessing they would be minimal compared to just buying 1 more expensive amp in the first place. Like I was considering trying to cracks with speedballs in a mono block configuration or just a Felix Elise mk2 or something similar like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back