Question about Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5
Feb 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dman777

New Head-Fier
I recently just got the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5. I have to say that I am disappointed with the sound. Before hand, I bought a pair of Shure at Best Buy(I took them back later...I just wanted to try them) for a $100.00. I thought the Shures had more clarity and instruments were more up front. Is this because the Shures go in the ear alot further than the UE's and so they are closer to the ear drum?

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 12
So, what's your question?

For $100, you probably picked up the SE110 from Best Buy. Maybe you got a faulty pair of SF5 Pro or something, because they absolutely destroy any of Shure's stuff that I've heard (E3c and down). The Shures have a lot of midrange which is quite different than the SF5 Pro's more bass oriented response.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 12
They do have a upper midrange suckout that some don't like (me not included), maybe they just have a sound signature you don't like?

I would experiment a bit with different tips to get a better fit, that is crucial with IEMs. Also give your brain time to adjust to the new sound signature, I didn't like mine at first but now I love them. They should (and do according to many) be better SQ wise than the shures.

Edit: heh sorry, kind of repeated what the others said, started writing before the other posts showed up

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't like my 5pro and I try change tips and ES cable.

1) mid roll off (human vocal)
2) detail not enough (compare to e3c, e888, pk1)
3) sound stage is wide on left and right but narrow on up and down (I don't know if you understand)
4) Not comfortable. Makes my ear painful everytime if I need a good seal. (Even with foam and reverse method)

Did everything and finally need to sell it on ebay.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 12
well....my question is this...: the shures go into the ear alot further than the UE's. right? wouldn't that make the sound quality better? seems closer or purer. or is it just me?

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) detail not enough (compare to e3c, e888, pk1)

The detail on the SF5 Pro is much better than my E3c. Although the E3c has better midrange, it has a really really strong treble roll off. I don't see how you can say that the E3c is more detailed than the SF5 Pro, unless you are talking about midrange detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well....my question is this...: the shures go into the ear alot further than the UE's. right? wouldn't that make the sound quality better? seems closer or purer. or is it just me?

The Shures do go further than the SF5 Pro into most people's ears, but there are other IEMs that go further. Distance to the eardrum has no correlation with sound quality.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 12
graphCompare.php

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 12
You know what's crazy? The form fitting wire was killing my ears, so I stopped using them. Instead I placed the form fitting loop outside of my ear...and guess what? The ear buds were in more of a relaxed position and the highs and mids got 100% better! I think the wire loops were forcing the ears buds at a angle that was cutting off the highs and mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back