Question about TIDAL master albums
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AnotherAirGuitarist

New Head-Fier
So I recently got a new laptop and downloaded the TIDAL desktop app. I've come across several master albums. I currently don't have a DAC, so I'm listening through the laptops built in headphone output. Will the app automatically change sample rate when going from a hifi to a master album or do I need to do this manually in the computers' settings? Obviously don't know which exact sample rate the different masters are at, as it doesn't say..

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 7
I`m bumping this thread because I still have not found out about this Tidal master stuff. I`m not really good with computer stuff, so I`m getting really confused here. I did find out that I can choose between «System controlled» and «Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)» in the settings menu of the app. When «System controlled» is selected the correct sample rate will not be played, but instead it will be based on whatever Sample rate I have selected in Audio settings in the control panel. With «Speakers» selected the app should be able to change between sample rates played through the built in speakers or headphone output. But then there are more settings for «Speakers»: «Exclusive mode», «Fixed volume» and «Passtthrough MQA» I have spent a lot of time searching the web for information and it seems that «Passthrough MQA» should only be selected if you have an MQA enabled DAC.

I am however a little confused about settings. When using «system controlled» there are two volume controls (Tidal and system), so I`ve just set Tidal to max and controlled the volume through laptop. With Sennheiser HD 25 volume for headphone output have been around 45 and the volume goes up in reasonable stages. With «Exclusive» mode volume controls are synchronised and the output is too loud with the Sennheiser. Lowest volume setting is actually quite loud and I guess the volume would go up too fast to be safe. Do I need to select «exclusive mode» for Tidal app to be able to change between sample rates or is it enough to select «speakers» instead of «system controlled»? If «exclusive mode» is required I guess I should stick to CD quality...

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 7
Tidal will do the first unfold up to 24/96, if you want the full MQA quality you will need an MQA DAC.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 7
I know I will not be able to get the full MQA quality without an MQA DAC. But how can I get better than CD quality at all for those files without changing my settings in the control panel each time I want to go from a CD quality album to a master album? Which changes do I need to make in the app settings, in this case using headphones directly out of my laptop for Tidal app to be able to change between sample rates? Do I need to check the exclusive mode after selecting «speakers» under sound output? That`s what I was wondering.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I have a question about Tidal and MQA. My DAC (Schiit Bifrost) does not decode MQA. However, if I select the passthrough MQA option the music continues to play. If it truly disables software decoding shouldn’t my DAC be unable to play the signal?

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a question about Tidal and MQA. My DAC (Schiit Bifrost) does not decode MQA. However, if I select the passthrough MQA option the music continues to play. If it truly disables software decoding shouldn’t my DAC be unable to play the signal?

The DAC sees it as just a regular 44.1/48 KHz 16 bit PCM in that case which it supports of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back