Question about the Ultrasone HFI-580, audiophiles/owners please chime in
Apr 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TiestoFan

100+ Head-Fier
These headphones keep coming up as recommendations for bass lovers who also want to experience higher end sound. They seem to be a good price at 180$ on amazon right now. There is just one problem at that is that usually people take points off for the "harshness" of the highs. Everyone says they have good bass (and really people, I am looking for massive bass), but they all say it can give fatigue due to the highs. So what I did was go into my EQ on itunes and turn up the highs on my vmoda crossfade just to kind of "emulate" the sound difference. What I found is that I get kind of fatigued when the highs are turned up all the way. So I was wondering are the 580s a dealbreaker for me or are they not as bad as everyone says/can be EQed? Thanks

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 8
I have the Ultrasone HFI-580.  I've had them for a couple years now and use them to compose electronic music.  I've worn them on the plane for multiple hours listening to my iPhone w/o a dedicated amp.  The only fatiguing part about it was not so much the highs but that it clamps the ear a little snug.  The best part about these headphones is the soundstage in that they are fun to listen to.  The bass is prominent, AND everything is very articulate.  I never found the highs that much of an annoyance.  I suppose the only thing I noticed were that they were pronounced i.e. you can hear them. 

The HFI-780 from what I recall were more neutral sounding.  They were less "fun" than the HFI-580.  You also need an amp to power them to their fullest potential

Users who are viewing this thread

Back