Question about the Toshiba Gigabeat S series
Dec 13, 2006 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
I might be able to buy a used Gigabeat S60 for cheap with only the ac adapter. I don't think I'd need any of the other accessories, but can somebody tell me what the included software is and if it can be downloaded since I wouldn't have the startup CD? Also, how's the sound quality? And I'm used to folder browsing, can somebody clear up the following question about ID tag browsing for me. When you click o nteh artists section it'll obviously go to an alphabetical list of artists. After you choose an artist, does it just list every song by the artist on one big menu in alphabetical order, or is there some symmetry to it like a list of songs in order by album? Thanks.

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 15
Included software? It came with included software? It uses regular MTP software, so Media Monkey, WMP 11, etc.

Sound quality is meh. Not great, not horrible. It's no iRiver clix.

When you click on the artist, it will go to the album, then a list of songs in alphabetical order.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the reply. My iAudio M3 is filled up and I really don't like having to use the remote, there's too many wires to deal with. I'm just wondering if I'd be alright going from one of the better sounding DAPs to something that's just alright. One last question, I'm pretty behind here and used to dealing with a file tree/folder system.......how exactly do you get the album art up and running? Is there a simple program for that like WMP 11 that can search and upload that easily or is it a pain in the @ss to do that?

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 15
For a lot of music, WMP 11 downloads the album art for you and when you sync your player in WMP11 it uploads it to your player automatically. It's not 100% perfect, but it's able to figure out album art pretty well.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 15
hey dregur, i think i remember you from dapreview

wmp11 is not bad, not the greatest program but it does the job

the songs are shown like this

artist (alphabetical)
-> album (alphabetical)
-> songs (track number)

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 15
You will need to purchase a usb cable separately so that you can sync the gigabeat with WMP11 or Media Monkey.

I quite like my gigabeat and it works quite well with my Media Center PC. I personally think that the sound quality is very good. Certainly better than the any iPod that I've listened to.

Battery life could definitely be better and it lacks a bookmarking feature, which makes it a pain if you like to listen to audio books.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will need to purchase a usb cable separately so that you can sync the gigabeat with WMP11 or Media Monkey.

I quite like my gigabeat and it works quite well with my Media Center PC. I personally think that the sound quality is very good. Certainly better than the any iPod that I've listened to.

Battery life could definitely be better and it lacks a bookmarking feature, which makes it a pain if you like to listen to audio books.

Do note, however, that any mini-usb to usb cable will work. The gigabeat USB cable is NOT proprietary. So if you own another MP3 that's not named iPod, iRiver, or Zune, you'll probably already own one. Also, many cameras use the same cable.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 15
I already have a usb cable that I can use, thanks for the insight though. Basically I'm sold on the Gigabeat due to the interface and the storage size, but I'm concerned about the battery life. A lot of the CNET user reviews state that the battery drains even when the unit is off and that 3-6 hours of audio time is common as opposed to the advertised 12(which isn't even all that great). Is this true?

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 15
I think 3 to 6 hours is way under what I get. Typically I see about 10+ hours with 192 wma or 320 mp3.

If you are planning on using wma lossless primarily, then you can probably expect about 6 hours max.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudySkies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have a usb cable that I can use, thanks for the insight though. Basically I'm sold on the Gigabeat due to the interface and the storage size, but I'm concerned about the battery life. A lot of the CNET user reviews state that the battery drains even when the unit is off and that 3-6 hours of audio time is common as opposed to the advertised 12(which isn't even all that great). Is this true?

Yes, the Battery life is pretty poor. I switched to flash based devices because I was getting about 10 hours even with my tweaks to preserve battery life. But 10 hours is still pretty good for a day of listening.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 15
To be honest, I'm just looking at this thing for music playback. I just want something that can hold my entire library, and the interface+album art display is perfect for what I'm trying to do. My iAudio M3 gets about 8-12Hrs of playback depending on what effects are switched on and whatnot. I can probably live with 10ish hours, I'm assuming this is without EQ and that harmonics mode switched on, right? I'm not worried about the harmonics mode, but what's the comparison for battery life between having the EQ on and off?

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 15
the battery life is 9 or 10 hours if you turn it on...let it play and never turn it on and off and never switch songs or scan the player etc...if you do any of those things you will get between 3 and 6 hours...in addition the battery loses charge when you dont use it unless you actually turn off the battery...a huge diappointment to me because i like the player otherwise,the size,the sound etc....i wish i could install a larger capacity battery because as it stands it is the worst battery life ive gotten from any of the many players ive owned

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 15
1) No, you cannot change the wallpaper, one of the many things that annoyed me about the player with such a good LCD screen.

2) I was still getting 9-10 hours and I was fiddling with it all the time. Just put the backlight to 5-10 seconds, and you'll be fine to get the 9-10 hours.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back