Question about the Fiio E7
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Deadhead87

New Head-Fier
I got an E7 used on Amazon.  I've never used an amp or DAC before, so I'm not sure what to expect.  When plugged into a laptop usb port, it seems to work and the sound seems to be improved, but there is static present at all times (when sound is and isn't playing).  Is this in any way normal?  I don't know much about this product, or if there is some incorrect setting I have it on.  The static grows louder when the volume is turned up?  It was listed as "like new," but contained no instructions.  Am I missing something or might it be defective? 

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I got an E7 used on Amazon.  I've never used an amp or DAC before, so I'm not sure what to expect.  When plugged into a laptop usb port, it seems to work and the sound seems to be improved, but there is static present at all times (when sound is and isn't playing).  Is this in any way normal?  I don't know much about this product, or if there is some incorrect setting I have it on.  The static grows louder when the volume is turned up?  It was listed as "like new," but contained no instructions.  Am I missing something or might it be defective? 

Are you getting the same static with just headphones plugged in? I get that here with my desktop. I think it's just electronic noise from the computer itself.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, it's just headphones plugged in. I actually don't have speakers to test it with. As for the electronic noise, isn't the whole purpose of a DAC to eliminate that, not amplify it?

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Yeah, it's just headphones plugged in. I actually don't have speakers to test it with. As for the electronic noise, isn't the whole purpose of a DAC to eliminate that, not amplify it?

Yes. So you're getting the noise from the DAC too, not just the PC headphone port? Hmm. My problem is the noise from the desktop front panel port. Even with volume at zero I get noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back