Question about the Fiio E7. Can I get some answers please?
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
hello everyone. my dear fellow head-fiers i am in need of assistance. i ordered a fiio e7 about 8 days ago and it should arrive tomorrow but there is a few things i want to clarify.

number 1
the fiio e7 is both a dac/external sound card and an amp. i bought it mainly for the dac but will the dac provide a big difference over say my ipod touch 2g 2009 edition mc model?
also what change will it offer towards my on board sound card other then erasing static i never notice anyways? i bought the fiio e7 because you guys said it was a worthwhile investment. now i am started to regret making the purchase. is it really that much of a difference? will it clear up the harshness from (supposedly) my ipod and soundcard that i have noticed on my shure srh840 headphones? i have heard many of you say the shure srh840 sound very smooth on the proper source but i just don't see how a little brick with audio input can make a difference. any help or answers would be appreciated.

number 2
the fiio e7 has a wolfson dac. wouldn't that mean it would sound like the 5.5 g ipod video? i haven't heard the ipod video but i have heard the ipod nano 1 and 2 g as well as the 2g shuffle. i just don't see how it will improve it over the ipod i have now and my conexant sound card. am i right to assume any of this?

keep in mind this is my first venture out of on board audio and into the dac world. i have a laptop so i couldn't just buy a sound card.

like i said though it will arrive tomorrow but i am curious as to what people say now. i will get back to you all on improvements when i get it.

thanks all and have a nice day.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I sincerely doubt it. Its about more than the silicon, even if Wolfson only made a single DAC chip.

will it be enough to fix the harshness or is that my cans? everyone tells me they are smooth which leads me to think it's my source.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 9
I've never heard your cans, but the impressions I have read of the E7 indicate a slight warmth from the DAC - you might get the result you are looking for. Unfortunately, there are no absolutes in audio : for many, its cheaper to just buy new cans.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I've never heard your cans, but the impressions I have read of the E7 indicate a slight warmth from the DAC - you might get the result you are looking for. Unfortunately, there are no absolutes in audio : for many, its cheaper to just buy new cans.

well i did get the alessandro ms1 as well but those won't come for a while do to the postal strike.

i just hope the difference in audio quality was worth the $113 i paid for the fiio e7.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 9
update: i received my fiio e7 today and first thing i noticed is it sounds much better. i will let you all know anything i notice after a while.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 9
ok every one false alarm. i regret this purchase. my on board sound sounds just as good if not better. seriously i am disappointed.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Interesting. I found there was a slight difference for me when using Shure SRH-840 or SE535s with my Macbook pro or using a LOD with iPod Classic vs the normal headphone jack on either. I am finding that if this is the difference with a $100 amp then I am hoping that a Arrow 4g would be even more improvement.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Interesting. I found there was a slight difference for me when using Shure SRH-840 or SE535s with my Macbook pro or using a LOD with iPod Classic vs the normal headphone jack on either. I am finding that if this is the difference with a $100 amp then I am hoping that a Arrow 4g would be even more improvement.

i have a toshiba satellite laptop with conexant onboard audio. it must be pretty amazing onboard then if it sounds better then my fiio e7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back