Question about the Ety 6i's
Nov 19, 2004 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jet1989

New Head-Fier
How is their bass response? I'm curious because I will be listening to primarily hip-hop/rap on my I-pod, and I am in the market for some good sounding canal phones in their price range. Thanks for the help!

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 20
I thought their bass was great. However the bass is not anywhere close to the loudness you are looking for RAP/hip hop. Their bass is very clean, but very soft.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 20
It might be just me, but I sometimes miss the bass on the 6i. When I listen to Missy (of which some songs are quite bass-heavy), I really miss that extra umph. I must say though, that the bass is not bloated or anything (like the EX71's), it's very clean and enjoyable. I guess I'm turning into a bass-head
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 20
My roommate and I both purchased ER-6i. He used to listen to some $50 craptacular Sony Earbuds. He thinks that the ER-6i are lacking in bass. I listen to Grado SR-80 and I think that the Ety bass is just fine.

Boytbpc

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 20
I think the er-6i have a bass that is detailed, but not deep. If you want fat bass, go with the shure e2c (if you can manage the "rolled off" highs).

Shure e3c also has better bass than ety er-6i.

Nov 24, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 20
Try them amped, and you will get all the feeling of bass you need. It may be mostly mid-bass, but it's enjoyable. Unamped, the bass is just as described... a feeling in the backround, pleasent, but nothing to write home about. Amped it's a different animal.

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 20
Using quite a bit of bass shaping and amped, it's possible to get a prominent low end out of the ER-6i. However, it's got all the sense of attack of a wet fart in comparison to even low-end phones.

Maybe I'm being slightly disingenuous here, let me clarify. The bass is not just reduced; it's very 'sticky' and slow to react, and doesn't really drive the music along. It's just there.

Nov 30, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 20
My EX71s broke last week (no apparent reason).

I thought this would be a great opportunity to get something higher-end (better?)

So after reading the forums, I decided on getting a pair of ER-6i. After about 2hrs with them, my first impressions are not good. I listen to mainly electronic music and hip-hop, and I thought the 6i would have enough bass to make me happy. I am going to try to play with the EQ more and see if it helps. apart from the bass, I didn't really find the clarity and "feel" of the sound from these phones and did not find anything special about their sound.

Also, the 6i is kinda painful for my ears. I was using the smallest tips with my EX71s, so I think my ears might be on the small side. The ER-6i go pretty far in the ear (especially when compared to the EX71s), and when you pull the out, the vacum created hurts my ear drum and etc.

I'm going to give them another day or two and probably exchange them for Shures E2s or E3s.

For someone with my music tastes, the ER-6i just does not fit.

I miss my EX71s, and I hope I can find a replacement better than they are for my type of music.

Hope this helps.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicRydr

I thought this would be a great opportunity to get something higher-end (better?)

So after reading the forums, I decided on getting a pair of ER-6i. After about 2hrs with them, my first impressions are not good. I listen to mainly electronic music and hip-hop, and I thought the 6i would have enough bass to make me happy. I am going to try to play with the EQ more and see if it helps. apart from the bass, I didn't really find the clarity and "feel" of the sound from these phones and did not find anything special about their sound.

Also, the 6i is kinda painful for my ears. I was using the smallest tips with my EX71s, so I think my ears might be on the small side. The ER-6i go pretty far in the ear (especially when compared to the EX71s), and when you pull the out, the vacum created hurts my ear drum and etc.

I'm going to give them another day or two and probably exchange them for Shures E2s or E3s.

I miss my EX71s, and I hope I can find a replacement better than they are for my type of music.

Hope this helps.

i have the ety tips and i get the same suction. the key is to pull down your ear lobe to get the air in and then pull it out.... but i understand that its too much extra work... when u get your shures make sure to use the grey one... the clear tips create more suction.

Nov 30, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 20
I'd say the grey tips create more suction, being more flexible they act like a plunger when you try to take them out.

mina.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicRydr

Hope this helps.

the er6i produces pretty accurate sound, so it sound more analytical than fun. if you are looking for a pair of fun phones, etys will not cut it.

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Using quite a bit of bass shaping and amped, it's possible to get a prominent low end out of the ER-6i. However, it's got all the sense of attack of a wet fart in comparison to even low-end phones.

LOL that sentence is just so perfect
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
LOL that sentence is just so perfect
biggrin.gif

Well... it's true. In general, there seems to be a varying degree of compromise with every generic canalphone out there. I'd be hard pressed to say which is the best compromise (IMO, the E2c because it does it's job properly at the lowest price) but they all have sonic and in some cases physical problems in return for the enhanced isolation.

I've put on hold the E3c vs ER-6i comparison. I've gone through a large number of filters on the ER-6i as they keep detaching and I've run out of the spares I bought, one of my E3c's came back after being trodden on and will need replacement, the other E3c is now making a rattling noise as I did a very stupid thing with it and I've just emailed Shure to ask whether it's worth repairing.

The 6i's have a cleaner sound (the Ety signature it seems), but the E3c's are more dynamic and retain more of the 'fun factor' of the music. This is relative of course as both phones lack dynamics when compared to many cheaper, less/non-isolating phones. The problem with the E3c can be those boosted mids. If you can EQ it out, then it's not a problem. If you can't... well I don't find it that bad in portable use. The E3c also looks to be a lot more robust, and I think it's easier to wear and extract. The cable microphonics caused by the wind is really bad on the ER-6i, however provided you stay out of winds then it's pretty good... not too much in the way of impact microphonics.

I really do need more time on the ER-6i to write more, but the filter problem is getting ridiculous. Both the main E3c and the newly acquired ER-6i have had approximately 1-2 tip changes a day during this test period, and the 6i filters tend to go AWOL while tips are being changed. After a while I realised what was happening and I asked the two other guys I gave the phones to for a week each to also take care, but it's impossible to be really careful and also check the tips every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back