Question about TechFlex diameters
Jan 7, 2004 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
I've built my own cables before, but never bothered to use sleeving because I didn't care how they looked. Lately, I've been thinking about the saying that goes something like: The better something looks, the better it will sound (or its corollary: If it's ugly, then it will sound bad).

Therefore, the question is: What diameter of TechFlex should I buy? I use Canare Star Quad, and occasionally Cat5. Is 1/4" too "baggy"? Will 1/8" stretch enough to fit?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

D.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 6
i usually make cat5 cables with one pair for ground, left, and right, so a total of 6 individual wires, the pairs are braided. I use 1/8" sleeving and it fits perfectly, but its a little bit hard to get it on at first.

ivan

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
I've built my own cables before, but never bothered to use sleeving because I didn't care how they looked. Lately, I've been thinking about the saying that goes something like: The better something looks, the better it will sound (or its corollary: If it's ugly, then it will sound bad).

Therefore, the question is: What diameter of TechFlex should I buy? I use Canare Star Quad, and occasionally Cat5. Is 1/4" too "baggy"? Will 1/8" stretch enough to fit?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

D.

For Starquad, 1/8" will stretch to 1/4", and will give you a snug, good looking fit.

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks kindly for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

I took your advice and picked up a 25 ft. roll of 1/8" from Pacific Radio Electronics this afternoon. It cost $0.19 per ft.

D.

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
Thanks kindly for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

I took your advice and picked up a 25 ft. roll of 1/8" from Pacific Radio Electronics this afternoon. It cost $0.19 per ft.

D.

That's a fair price for sleeving. I like Pacific Radio. That's where I buy Canare Starquad. Usually they charge 5-6 dollars to ship 15-20 feet of the stuff, which isn't bad. I also like the fact that they don't force you to place minimun orders or charge extra 'handling' fees.

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by itza2mer
That's a fair price for sleeving. I like Pacific Radio. That's where I buy Canare Starquad. Usually they charge 5-6 dollars to ship 15-20 feet of the stuff, which isn't bad. I also like the fact that they don't force you to place minimun orders or charge extra 'handling' fees.

I like dealing with them, too. They take good care of their Canadian customers (of which they have quite a few I'm told).

I bought 25 feet of Canare Star Quad, 25 feet of TechFlex sleeving, and various small components and the shipping quote was less than $6 (I'm sending the parts to a friend in the U.S.). Donna worked out the details and phoned me in Canada to finalize everything. Friendly folks and prompt service.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back