question about tagging..
Apr 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all! when ripping my cds to flac i use winamp. when it reads the cd, it gathers some information from the internet for the songs names which is cool.

i wanted to ask this..is this call tagging? or it just give the files names?
if i understood correctly,tagging is when the file name is encrypted inside the file. i just dont want my pure flacs to get messed with other stuff in it.

i know it's silly but i am just perfectionist in this kind of stuff.. you know...
just want the best for my player!
bigsmile_face.gif

thx!

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but tags are metadata that "describe" the music files and in no way will affect the file itself.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Its metadata, or often referred to as tags.
They are embedded into the container, alongside the audio data, and are afaik not encrypted.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

i wanted to ask this..is this call tagging? or it just give the files names?
if i understood correctly,tagging is when the file name is encrypted inside the file. i just dont want my pure flacs to get messed with other stuff in it.

I think may be confusing standard metadata file tags (which are harmless, unencrypted, and totally under your control) with Apple's practice of surreptitiously marking iTunes downloads with the user's name. The two are separate things.

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes, that is the tag information saved within the FLAC file. I like FLAC because it's taggable.

It's good to be a perfectionist when it comes to tagging. It makes browsing and organizing your music much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back