Question About SP PPX3 Slam....
Apr 23, 2008 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamitman

100+ Head-Fier
This is my question

- Can it pair with grado HF-1
- Tube Rolling ?
- Price of the new one and second hand one.
- Upgrade ?
- Interconnection that I use with this rig.

Thanks to any suggestion..

Regards
Purit
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 7
This is my question

- Can it pair with grado HF-1

Absolutely, the SLAM drives Grados extermely well. I use the MS2i and a woodied MS1; great combinations.

- Tube Rolling ?

Many, many combinations! Depending on the gain tube socket, octal or 9 pin, you can also use the octal to 9 pin tube socket adapters for even more choices. The original SLAM had a 9 pin tube socket wired for the 6cg7 (RCA/ Raytheon/ Sylvania). There is a direct sub called the 6gu7 (RCA/ Raytheon/ Sylvania) that is even better to my ears. For the output tubes it is hard to beat a Tung Sol 5687. Sylvania and Raytheon also made a nice sounding 5687's. In addition, you can use the Amprex 7119 or the 7044. I like the GE 7044's.

- Price of the new one and second hand one.

The last I knew the SLAM was $899 . But, I bet the price has went up some with the rise in parts cost. I have bought two used SLAM's and paid between $600-650. I would buy used if you can find one.

- Upgrade ?

Not necessary .... I prefer the plain stock version.

- Interconnection that I use with this rig.

I use IC's from Enigma Audio. Their copper IC with carnare plugs is a very good match and reasonably inexpensive. I have tried their silver hybrid IC, which is a tad to analytical for me with this SP amp. Their gold alloy IC is probably my favorite. But he can no longer get the wire to make them.

EnigmaAudio.com

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 7
So how many SLAM's do you have? I hope they are sequentially numbered. :^) Is the older large amp still one of your favorites? I don't know the name of it. It reminds of an old AVO tube tester.

avo-mark4_small.jpg

The tubes were tested on top.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how many SLAM's do you have? I hope they are sequentially numbered. :^) Is the older large amp still one of your favorites? I don't know the name of it. It reminds of an old AVO tube tester.

avo-mark4_small.jpg

The tubes were tested on top.

I have three PPX3 SLAM's. One was a new amp I traded a stash of 6bl7gt's for. Two I bought used. One has blackgate cathode caps and the other two are stock except one has a neutrik headphone jack. I also have one of the original P2P wood/ chrome chassis PPX3's; again a used unit.

By the larger amp I assume you mean this old chassis style Supra. Yes I do. This is my best sounding amp. I highly doubt I ever sell this one.

IMG_0090.jpg

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Earl,

How does the GE 7044 sound in comparison to your favored TungSol 5687 D getter for output? I like the TS and square getter Raytheons in my PPX3 SLAM, and have a stash of different 6GU7's for gain. I like the combination and am wondering sonically how the 7044's differ. I dont remember reading too much about them. The Amperex 7119's seem to be harder to get a hold of (and are pricey), so I dont know if I'll venture into that territory anytime soon.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mstorie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earl,

How does the GE 7044 sound in comparison to your favored TungSol 5687 D getter for output? I like the TS and square getter Raytheons in my PPX3 SLAM, and have a stash of different 6GU7's for gain. I like the combination and am wondering sonically how the 7044's differ. I dont remember reading too much about them. The Amperex 7119's seem to be harder to get a hold of (and are pricey), so I dont know if I'll venture into that territory anytime soon.

Well .... the 7044 I know I like is the GE. This tube has more warmth than the TS, reminds me of some of the 6sn7's and works well with brighter gain tubes. I have not had them in my PPX3 SLAM for several months, so from memory, I dont have that developed of an opinion. I see TS 7044's .... which appear to be rebranded Sylvanias. RCA made a 7044 too. I dont like the Sylvanias as I find them bright and harsh. The 7044's are $7-8 each and you see them around more; they virtually disappeared for awhile when Manley used them in one of their preamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back