Question about soundcard and desktop speakers
Jul 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ayim

New Head-Fier
Hey, I currently have a 100$ pair of Klipsch Speakers and I love them but they have an issue with the sound cutting out to one side sometimes (takes 30 minutes fiddleing with the volume knob and hearing crackling till it comes back in god lol) and are generally just wore out I guess.
Anyway I'm looking for a new pair of desktop speakers that would be as good or better as these, all the ones I seen in the store looked like crap so I went online. I found Audioengine A2 and Audioengine A5. I'm pretty set on one of these now. How would the A2's compare to my old Klipsch? Will the A2 have as much bass as my Klipsch? the Klipsch IMO gave off pretty big bass for how tiny they are. I have a small desk, and I'm in a 12 by 12 foot room so I think the A5's might be too big, and I also sit about 4 feet away from the speakers and the speakers are about half a foot from the wall.

My other question was about soundcards:

I'm on windows 7 64bit with a Gigabyte 780G mobo with Realtek ALC889A audio codec, I read on forums that it's as good as some of the soundcards out there so I'm wondering if I would actually need a seperate soundcard or a DAC to get better audio results out of my new speakers?

Oh and I seen that foobar thread below, I changed from primary sound driver to Wasabi and wow I actually noticed the difference, it had more sound stage to it and such I think.

Let me throw one more in here, how should one adjust the volume of audio? I see theres like 3 ways, windows volume, speaker knobe volume, then volume in foobar2000. Does it matter at all which ones you adjust?

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 6
A2's most likely won't be better, in fact I wouldn't recommend them for much of anything.

A5... maybe. You should get a true active (crossover) speaker instead though.

Windows and foobar volume are digital volume control, they lower dynamic range etc. The only software volume control you should do imo, is whatever replaygain sets. I don't believe there would be an audible difference with sw volume though, it's whether or not you believe in headfi voodoo...

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 6
I've just purchased the A2's yesterday, and they sound AMAZING for their size. The bass isn't lacking at all, sometime i even find it a little overwhelming. But nothing some equalizing will not solve.

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
A2's most likely won't be better, in fact I wouldn't recommend them for much of anything.

A5... maybe. You should get a true active (crossover) speaker instead though.

Dang, the A2's wouldn't be better? Are you sure, here's the link to the old speakers I have http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-ultra-2-0-overview/ Their not made anymore so I'd probably have to buy a used pair and it'd probably have the same problem. In the reviews alot of ppl talked about the problem, but they said they loved the sound from em.

What's a true active crossover speaker?

Could you guys recommend me a different speaker, as you know I'm trying to find a 2.0 system that's small enough to fit on my desk.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 6
I have heard good things about this WAF speakers and Gizmo system based on price to performance. LINK (right hand corner)
For $279, it is a decent stereo package  The Gizmo amps are class D and have a dedicated subwoofer output for upgrading to a 2.1 system.
This should still be small enough to fit on your desk while giving you great sound quality for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back