Question about some home gear
Dec 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phishin Phool

500+ Head-Fier
I have a chance to get a "lot" of audio items for $120. The most intriguing items are a Sony SACD player and velodyne s-1200 subwoofer. I know the subwoofer is adequate - good but not great but having missed the SACD flash is it worth it to grab this for the player and sub . Other items in the lot include 

1. Velodyne S-1200-B
2, Pioneer PDF606 CD Changer
3. Technics SA-EX110
4. Sony STR-AV480 Audio Signal Processor
5, Sony AVD C700ES CD/DVD Receiver
6. Sony STR-DE945 Digital Cinema Sound Processing Unit

Is it worth it to drop $120 on this stuff?

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 5
  I have a chance to get a "lot" of audio items for $120. The most intriguing items are a Sony SACD player and velodyne s-1200 subwoofer. I know the subwoofer is adequate - good but not great but having missed the SACD flash is it worth it to grab this for the player and sub . Other items in the lot include 

1. Velodyne S-1200-B
2, Pioneer PDF606 CD Changer
3. Technics SA-EX110
4. Sony STR-AV480 Audio Signal Processor
5, Sony AVD C700ES CD/DVD Receiver
6. Sony STR-DE945 Digital Cinema Sound Processing Unit

Is it worth it to drop $120 on this stuff?

Where's the SACDP on  the list? What model is it? If it's a changer, forget it. I had a Sony SCD-CE595 before and it stopped reading freaking SACDs after about 14months. You can pop in an SACD, but display shows PCM or whatever that shows it's reading the CD layer. I even borrowed an SACD-only (not hybrid) and didn't read that one either. Also when I opened the case while it attempted to play anything, there's a plastic bit holding the spindle, and you can see it wobbling while it's spinning the disk.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 5
The SACD player is 
#5: Sony AVD C700ES CD/DVD Receiver

5 disc SACD changer.

Thanks for the response but I ended up passing. I needed a Sub as my HSU VTF-2 amp died and the SACD player made that an intriguing idea. Ended up not being too bad to get it repaired (in the shop now) and in the meantime I came across a Bowers + Wilkins ASW610 sub for $150 so I grabbed that instead

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 5
  The SACD player is 
#5: Sony AVD C700ES CD/DVD Receiver

5 disc SACD changer.

Thanks for the response but I ended up passing. I needed a Sub as my HSU VTF-2 amp died and the SACD player made that an intriguing idea. Ended up not being too bad to get it repaired (in the shop now) and in the meantime I came across a Bowers + Wilkins ASW610 sub for $150 so I grabbed that instead

Oh yeah forget that. Cheap universal players are not real SACDPs - they downsample the SACD into PCM. Same way that some DAPs now convert DSD to PCM then have them go through their 24-bit, 192khz DACs, while SACDs are 1-bit, 2,884khz (on DAPs, they're just making the processor work harder, and potentially shorter playback time from the same battery charge). That might be an ES series Sony, but chances are it might still do the same thing as $200 DVDPs back in the last decade - even Sony's and Philip's DVDPs (and also the Pioneer DV6xx series) all have no true DSD DACs in them, so chances are neither would a multi-disc ES.

That's also why Schiit made the Loki BTW.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks now I'm even happier I passed. FWIW I have a Geek pulse coming and it can do DSD properly I believe however I currently don't have any DSD tracks. I do however have some Hi-res music I am looking forward to hearing with it. The B+W sub is a better deal for me anyhow. Now that my HSU is getting fixed I will have a dual sub set-up in my HT and music room for the first time and with two top rate subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back