Question about solid core silver wire.
Feb 28, 2010 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Farnsworth

100+ Head-Fier
I've never used solid core wire and was thinking of getting some solid core silver wire for a cable for my K702's but i am worried that it being solid core it will be much stiffer than standard wire.

So i was wondering how stiff or flexible is solid core wire.

in addition, if anyone could point me to the best place to buy silver wire, solid core or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Solid core is stiff and microphonic like hell. Moreover, I don't think the K701/702 would benefit from silver. Go find some nice stranded copper wire and you'll be just fine. Or, if you really, really want solid core, try some Neotech 24awg. It's acceptably flexible for normal use.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I personally would not use 24 awg solid core wire because it has severe limitations on high frequencies. I first went through the whole solid core cable phenomenon in the mid 1980's when a company introduce a cable called dnm solid core 26 ga for interconnect and 22 ga for speaker cable, it was very good and started me off on a career of cable design which in the end got me a patented cable that actually works, can't say on a proprietary basis what it is, but it isn't 24 ga. He would be better off , by far, and I'm picking a number he can manage based on my personal experience. It will be a magnet wire which means each strand has a poly coating on it so each strand will never oxidize or deteriorate and give him 10 times the performance characteristics of 24 ga.
I would choose for him to use 16 strands of magnet wire of 38awg wire in a twisted configuration. 38 ga is big enough for him to barely be able to manage but will result in a much more refined , detailed sound. that is 16/38gauge magnet wire, but solder flux must be used to remove the polysol 155 coating from the wire.
If he follows my advice I would be really interested in hearing his opinion of the results. I already did just that, 25 years ago, doesn't have anything to do with what I'm currently bringing to market via a high end company on the west coast, but hey,you've got nothing to lose.
Bay Associates sold me some wire years ago , you may have some luck with them and here's a link Bay Associates - Litz Wire
btw, I have no relationship of any kind with them, just some fond memories of me haunting their warehouse

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 7
I must ask.....when is Solid Silver Core advantageous? I mean, it should have some benefits over pure copper since it's almost twice the price...

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 7
ikudhg87e56w.jpg
Interconnect probably.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 7
You don't need to use solid core. It isn't flexible and is a terrible idea for a phone cable. You won't hear any difference with stranded. Promise.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 7
So, silver solid core is better for interconnects then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back