Question about Shure E2s
Aug 6, 2003 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ventilatedslacks

New Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing a pair of Shure E2s and have a question about the way they are worn. It looks from Shure's site like the cable is designed to go behind the head and down the back. Is this the only way to wear them? My concern is that I would like to use them on the treadmill at the gym where my source is either my iPod (which I usually place in the cup holder in front of me rather than clip to my belt - I find I get less vibration/skipping this way) or the personal tv monitor that is in front of the bike. For either of these sources, running the cable down my back would prove somewhat difficult.

Anyone have any insights/suggestions?

PS - This is my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for over a year and have let you all guide me towards nearly all of my headphone purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 9
You could run the cable behind your head as described, but then in front of you over your shoulders. The cable is approximately 5 feet long.
I hope this helps.
-Matt

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 9
I wear mine with the cord up and around the ear as Shure's instructions show but instead of the joined cord going down my back, I have it going right down the front. Very comfortable and easily accomplished.

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Pretty much the same thing here. I used to run the cord down my back but found it pulled at my ears when I held my player in my brief case, especially when walking. Now I run it down the front and pull the plastic collar up under my chin. Very comfortable and stable.

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead an purchase them this week. I assume that the E2s are the same as the E2C - it appears that the C is just a branding for general consumers rather than musicians. Does anyone know why Headroom is carrying the E2Cs for $99 while most music stores carry the E2s for $79.99? I usually find Headroom's prices to be fairly competitive, but I'm not willing to spend an extra $20.

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 9
I recently got the E2s and here's what I've worked out:

I tried wearing them looped around my ears for awhile, but it was just too annoying for everyday use. The cords kept wanting to slip off my ears unless I used the plastic tightener, which is fine if you're not taking them off and on a lot, but otherwise it's a hassle.

So what I generally do is switch sides--left bud in right ear, right bud in left ear--and let the cords hang straight down. They fit great, almost like they were designed to fit that way. I get a bit more in the way of microphonics, but the easy on-off routine makes it worthwhile. Plus I get fewer weird looks on the bus from the "norms."
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by morphineheart
I recently got the E2s and here's what I've worked out:

I tried wearing them looped around my ears for awhile, but it was just too annoying for everyday use. The cords kept wanting to slip off my ears unless I used the plastic tightener, which is fine if you're not taking them off and on a lot, but otherwise it's a hassle.

So what I generally do is switch sides--left bud in right ear, right bud in left ear--and let the cords hang straight down. They fit great, almost like they were designed to fit that way. I get a bit more in the way of microphonics, but the easy on-off routine makes it worthwhile. Plus I get fewer weird looks on the bus from the "norms."
smily_headphones1.gif

But then that would change stereo image totally, what supposed to be on the left now on the right and vice versa. Bass would be uncontrolled.

Aug 7, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 9
I'll sell you mine for $60 if you want. I just bought them, they're still in perfect condition, only used for a couple days. I still have all the original packaging, ect. Let me know if you're interested.

Quote:

Originally posted by ventilatedslacks
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead an purchase them this week. I assume that the E2s are the same as the E2C - it appears that the C is just a branding for general consumers rather than musicians. Does anyone know why Headroom is carrying the E2Cs for $99 while most music stores carry the E2s for $79.99? I usually find Headroom's prices to be fairly competitive, but I'm not willing to spend an extra $20.

Aug 7, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kajohndet
But then that would change stereo image totally, what supposed to be on the left now on the right and vice versa. Bass would be uncontrolled.

These are portable phones; it's not like i'm doing critical, audiophile-level listening on these. And somehow, I manage to enjoy the music in spite of the guitar solo being on the left instead of the right.
rolleyes.gif

Bass is related to stereo image? That's news to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back