question about shielded headphone cable
Oct 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

afg34

100+ Head-Fier
I need headphone cable that is shielded. I have a cheap no-name headphone that i spliced and found out they are not shielded. If i just weave the ground wire(copper) around the red and green colored wires will it become shielded??

Also does how to test if a cable is shielded without splicing it?

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 4
You have to have a certain level of coverage for an effective shield. which still is only effective against some things. What fun! 

You can buy shielded cables from any number of cable suppliers. Depending what you are doing, you should be able to find your pick of cable options. Try the big thread in the DIY forum. The manufacturers of the cable specify if they are shielded, and what percentage. 

As a last point: why do you *need* a shielded cable? A shielded cable can prevent/reduce certain types of amplifier misbehavior, but thats about as theoretical as cables mattering at all
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 4
i need it to install a auxiliary port in my car (so i can use my mp3 player)
someone who is more technically inclined than me is helping me but he said that i have to use shielded cable otherwise there will be interference

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Probably wouldn't hurt, some 4 conductor shielded Mogami wire (like 2693 or something, forget the exact number) would do the job at a buck a foot.  The auxiliary input on my Scion gets horrible interference if I don't use shielded cable, it's this humming noise that gets faster the more I accelerate...pretty weird.  Also, I find that having the iPod charging off the cigarette lighter port causes crazy bad interference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back