Question about purchasing securely on PayPal from someone with no transaction history
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
I’m normally a very trusting person, and have been engaging with someone here on the forum that just joined a couple of weeks ago and has no transactions. Was concerned that they asked me to send them a screenshot of the transaction once I sent payment… Does that seem odd to you? I’ve done hundreds of deals through the years at various sites and never had someone ask me to do that. It is potentially a big transaction, so I’m just a little iffy on the whole process since that is such a weird request. I mean, PayPal is going to send them an email notification, right? Also, when I asked them to send me an invoice, they said they were having trouble doing that and could I just send it to their PayPal address. Then I got an invoice, but it was blank, as far as what I was purchasing.

Nov 6, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 9
I’m normally a very trusting person, and have been engaging with someone here on the forum that just joined a couple of weeks ago and has no transactions. Was concerned that they asked me to send them a screenshot of the transaction once I sent payment… Does that seem odd to you? I’ve done hundreds of deals through the years at various sites and never had someone ask me to do that. It is potentially a big transaction, so I’m just a little iffy on the whole process since that is such a weird request. I mean, PayPal is going to send them an email notification, right? Also, when I asked them to send me an invoice, they said they were having trouble doing that and could I just send it to their PayPal address. Then I got an invoice, but it was blank, as far as what I was purchasing.
I smell a rat. A genuine, vetted PayPal transaction would have an invoice for buyer, confirmation for seller. Also, in the ‘activity’ prompt is a record of transactions with prompts for greater detail. Having little Head-Fi history is a flag, a blank invoice with a weak explanation is a waving banner. Walk run away.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 9
I smell a rat. A genuine, vetted PayPal transaction would have an invoice for buyer, confirmation for seller. Also, in the ‘activity’ prompt is a record of transactions with prompts for greater detail. Having little Head-Fi history is a flag, a blank invoice with a weak explanation is a waving banner. Walk run away.
That’s my leaning at this point… he asked on two separate PMs that I send him a screenshot of the confirmed transaction… That’s just weird

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I've bought and sold on Paypal for 22 years. They have to send you an invoice describing everything including condition, and it can't be a friends/family transaction, it has to be the goods/services type. You won't have buyer protection if the items aren't described in the invoice. Even though Paypal has been good, it's better to fund it with a credit card as well for 2-6 months of charge back protection depending on the card (ok technically up to 12 months on the Amex platinum and Centurion, but so few people have those). Nobody needs a screenshot of a transaction, Paypal sends the buyer and seller everything, and a blank invoice would mean they can send you nothing or anything and you don't get Paypal buyer protection.

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 9
PP does not allow invoice functionality for users who haven't directly linked a bank account (as opposed to just a payment card) - it's not necessarily a red flag, but, particularly in the absence of other information (like transaction history etc...), probably a reasonable thing to be wary of.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back